Still looking for stallion for this mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Still looking for stallion for this mare

Postby oleos93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:09 pm

I got some good advice on this mare for her next breeding. Matty G being one but with Giacomo hitting CA I really like him. I also like Atticus as my number one pick. I like Awesome Gambler too but I have a filly by him and she is a bit of a missfit.

Mare is Hurry Home Helen.

She has been bred to some decent stallions in the past but nothing from those breedings has really jumped out. One of her grand fillies sold for about 40k at the WA sale.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Southern Image!

Her two best foals had a return of Hail to Reason, plus she's got What a Pleasure (Grey Flight) on top. He's improving his mares, and his only mature crop (just turned 5) has 83% runners and about 55% winners. They're not winning stakes (yet?) but they're running, winning, and making money.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Where does he stand and do you know what his fees are? Do they have a web site to look up his info?

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:05 am

They're not winning stakes? Calibrachoa and Winning Image might argue that point.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 am

Fireslam wrote:They're not winning stakes? Calibrachoa and Winning Image might argue that point.

You're right, I phrased that poorly. He has 2% stakes winners to foals in the northern hemisphere.

They're not winning stakes in large numbers BUT they're winning good races and making good money. How's that?

Oleos93--Rancho San Antonio, $2500.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 am

oleos93

I am still trying to figure out how you can breed without the knowledge of how to find a stallion and the location and fee of the stallion. At any rate, I like Pleasantly Perfect for her but he is standing in Kentucky and I do not think you want to ship her to Kentucky.

DDT

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 am

oleos93 wrote:Where does he stand and do you know what his fees are? Do they have a web site to look up his info?

Southern Image is at Rancho San Miguel and stands for $2500. They have a website, lovely farm. The farm manager, Clay Murdoch, is wonderful to deal with, with reasonable boarding rates for the mares.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 pm

DDT....It is a simple conversation not a lack of knowledge. If you bothered to look at some of my other post you will see I started a post on this mare with me "looking" at studs in our area using true and enicks...but the subject got off track. Being undecided is a crime I see.

When I received a PM months ago on a stallion Matty G I went to their web site, because I DO KNOW how to look things up but they did not have him on their at that time....so YEAH I ask now when one recommends something because just maybe they have a better link then I do. And I see that makes me stupid.

I stand my own stallions FYI and have one of my own breeding's racing well in Florida. Your assumption is just that. I am making conversation and curious to others thoughts. I did not think I needed to give my life history to appease one's thoughts.

If you find that offensive then don't read it or reply. That simple. And I wonder, do you bash everyone like this?

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 pm

oleos93

You are correct it is just a simple conversation. I apologize, but not once did I call you stupid, I am the stupid one here.

DDT

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Apology accepted.

We are all on the same side. My whole horse career, 35 plus yrs, I have told non horse people that "horse people" are the worse. After showing for years it was such a drain on how other horse people acted towards each other, so I get offended easy. When I first got into racing in 2004 I was so green and the gals at the track made me feel about 2 inches tall....the men on the other hand would give you the time of day all day long.

We all need to just get along and realize we have a common tread.....with out each other though, there would be no competition.

I love to hear what others have to say even if I already have the answer.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:44 pm

oleos93

Yes, well the show circuit can be much worse than the track as far as can't everybody just get along. I am sorry if I offended you, but what I was trying to say was if you could look it up yourself why would you ask someone else to do it for you. And yes, men will be boys around women, that is a fact of life. Again, I said it the wrong way and I hope you understand I was acting like a little boy.

DDT

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 pm

DDT...no problem. I understand your question and the reason I ask questions is not to get someone to "do it for me" it is a simple "hey to you happen to know." and in this case do you happen to know where he stands and for how much.....If people have a favorite site they go to they usually have the answer right off or can suggest a simple goggle search term that makes it easy to find....again just a conversation.

I find most people on here have the answers right at their finger tips. Just this topic alone and section "Mating Advice" Most that are going to give their opinion will in fact look up my mare and do some nicks or have their own opinion based on a stallion they all ready have all the information on. So I guess for me it is an assumption that knowing one is asking for advice people are willing to help buy telling you what they have found by doing a search on their own.

I already mentioned who I like because of nicks I have done PLUS advice prior and because I just happen to like the horse for no other reason then I like the horse.

I have mentioned before I am not a fan of the enicks each stallion site offers so if someone is willing to help and do their own search why not ask for help. That is what this section is about, is it not?

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:40 pm

You have a pm.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 am

You've got a Northern Baby in Washington?? I thought those were all gone. Chinquapin Charlie doesn't look like he has had much (any) opportunity to prove himself, and Northern Baby certainly is not considered a sire of sires.

I like Preachinatthebar, a good stakes horse by Silver Charm. Nice balanced inbreeding to Tom Fool and Hail to Reason when bred to your mare.

Tempted to recommend Matty G, a precocious son of Capote (again, not a known sire of sires) and currently atop the sire list.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:06 am

and in Idaho, you have some interesting crosses too. You guys have many turf races? These are grassy horses!

Allover is incredibly inbred to Northern Dancer and Thong.

Starmaniac is out of a full sister to Hawkster and himself a group placed son of Septieme Ciel.