looking for help in stallion choice for

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

looking for help in stallion choice for

Postby mini's mom » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 am

two mares

there you'll be - by deputy cat

famous woman - by western fame -

can't spend a whole lot but am willing to foal share ect - am located in new england

thanks

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:21 pm

I think getting a foal share to these two maybe a bit hard on the commercial side of the world but maybe you'll find a farm that will do a co-breeder if you'd be willing to foal out/etc for a NY bred.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

breedings

Postby mini's mom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:33 am

thanks crystal

am working on that - there you'll be goes back to la troienne - she did not make much $$ - who ever had her at the track left her feet long and took off her heels - someone also must have put a twitch on her ear to get her into the gate as she is ear shy - sometimes little things hinder good race horses - she is quite well bred - I had no idea who trained her but the woman who bought her from a trainer now lives in austrailia & she sold off all of her paint horses - the mare has had 3 foals - paints - she is nicely put together and if you leave her ears alone she is a peach to work around -

I know what they are but if they were managed differently then they would have made more money - if famous was not nerved blocked in whatever gill u sed (snake venom), given some time off & not run a bizillian times then she would have not broken down - I am trying to do what my budget will allow & yes I am exploring a foal sharing arrangement with a farm in new york -

thanks again for the reply - susan

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:24 pm

what do plan to do with the foals?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Alphabet Soup and Justenuffhumor are interesting for Famous Woman to me though I'd want to just as equally match her physically. Is pedigree query correct in showing no produce record as of yet?

I lean a bit more toward Alphabet Soup as he is a proven stallion, will get you dirt or turf, and if this is a first foal he is more of a known entity in what he needs in a mare.

Best of luck with your planning!

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:04 am

Indian Ocean X There You'll Be. He has some fantastic line breeding going on, Storm Bird and his full sister.

A nice Oceana sandwich. There You'll Be herself is relatively free of line breeding, and the line breeding that Indian Ocean would contribute would compliment her Storm Cat/Northern Dancer.

I'd resist any temptation to breed her to a Mr. P line.

Indian Ocean stands there in MA, so it would be convenient to your location too.

Best of luck.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 am

Indian Ocean X Famous Woman, I like this pairing even better than with the other mare.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:38 am

Im always puzzled why someone would recommend to someone else that they breed to a bad stallion.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm always surprised when sump'in logs on right after they been drove :arrow: down the dirt road and they'r in a crappy mood cause they aren't gonna be able to for a week and they gotta come on here an complain about the free advice. :lol:

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:57 pm

what do you plan to do with the foals?

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 am

The real answer to the question might be important to the stallion choice.. Sorry you thing that is stupid

griff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Since this is a thoroughbred race horse forum, it's safe to assume that everyone asking mating advice has plans or at least dreams of breeding a great race horse.

It just appears to me at least, to be condescending and rude to be asking questions like what are you planning on doing with the foals?

Look at the mare's pedigrees and then see they are NH based and then look for stallions in the immediate area and give the lady an opinion, or otherwise, please.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm

stallion recommendations sometimes depend if the owner is breeding to race the foal her self or breeding it to sell.

There are some decent regional stallions that are not commercial.

Is it starting to come together??

griff

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:34 pm

griff wrote:stallion recommendations sometimes depend if the owner is breeding to race the foal her self or breeding it to sell.

There are some decent regional stallions that are not commercial.

Is it starting to come together??

griff

To add to this, where you intend to race and on what surfaces are important too. Are you breeding to race, want turf/jump ability for a shot at steeplechasing and or fox hunting post racing, etc. Jeff, I mean no disrespect but what Griff is asking can be important. I say this having grown up in MD hunt country with neighbors who bred TBs just as much for the flat as they did for the hunt as they did for steeplechasing. Absolutely everyone wants a grade 1 winner but breeders want most of all a horse that can pay its way in its discipline.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

plans for foals

Postby mini's mom » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 am

that comment was real professional, giff

since you want to know, I would like to run nt he Kentucky oaks with a horse that I bred

soundness is real important to me & I would never never run a two year old - I always consider the welfare of the horse first & not my own pocketbook - like everyone else, I want a sound, correct, good looking, well bred horse that can run all day, plow a field, pull a cart - and then there is hopefully something left to go on with the line, after the race track has beat them up -

soundness is first of all, confirmation & a horse that can run on both the dirt and turf - since most races are short and on the dirt the horse would ahve to be adaptable to do that also -

so I have dreams like the rest of us ont his board & would hate to be 94 and be like franicis genter and have to watch my horse run int he derby and have to have the trainer explain everything to me and scream in my ear as I am so deaf that I cannot hear what he is saying -

I also have a chance to get a stud (son of waquoit ) but the cd no's would be 9 & ll with my mares and there not a lot of racing long and on the grass in new england -

so if you can fill that criteria, giff then let me know - I am no better than anyone else on this board - my pocket book may be smaller but my love of racing & the thoroughbred horse is the same -