Stallion match

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jeff9061
Yearling

Stallion match

Postby jeff9061 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Need a stallion for a Smart Strike mare who is a little long from her withers back to her hip. Would like to shorten (length not height) the foal up a little bit. Oh, and I might like him to be free of Mr. Prospector through at least four generations, if not all together. Will breed in KY, and foal not likely to go through sale ring, but who knows. Also can't swallow a $25K+ stud fee. Any ideas? Narrows it down a bit, I know.

Mare is thick and strong up front, and pretty darn correct. 16, or maybe 16.1. Maybe a bit over in one knee. Would just like to see her a little more compact on her top line.

Right now, considering Majecticperfection and Yes It's True. Two opposite ends of the spectrum there (proven v. bubble). Maybe a Storm Cat line stallion. Any ideas?

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:11 am

Forestry $8,000
Belong to me $5,000
Line of David $7,500
Concord Point $7,500
Stephen Got Even $7,500

Name the mare, it might help people to help you?

Edit
Also
Daaher $5,000
Oreintate $6,500
US Ranger $5,000
Edited by Moderator

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 am

Sorry, you're right. Tapinade.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am

Even though I dislike the farm where he stands IMO Concord Point would be an ideal suit for this mare. Physically, he would add and subtract the attributes you've described. He's a short backed and tidy horse with lots of presence. I love my foal by him and I've spoken with other breeders who feel the same way about theirs. In addition, he is inbred 4 x 4 Seattle Slew as well as to Relaunch and his full sister, which greatly complements your mare, who is 2 x 4 Mr. Prospector, and whose dam is inbred to Northern Dancer This mating is what I would call a modified hybrid within five generations---which is what I strive for in my matings.

You have a nice mare and Im glad to see you're studying your alternatives. Good luck.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I could not find a Smart Strike mare named "Tapinade"

what am I doing wrong??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

found Tapenade and she is an A++ with Wise dan's sire Wisemans Ferry

PA has a pretty good PABRED program.. 40% breeders bonus and 355 owners bonus plus races restricted to PABREDs

She is also a 'B" nick with Stormy Atlantic and his sons and there is no Mr P in Stormy Atlantic.

griff

PS: not interested in debating the merits of True Nicks.. I know it ignores the mares and is there fore severely flawed; however, fo what it's worth--- an A++ is still an A++

griff

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Leave it to me to spell my own mare's name wrong. Guess you found it, but sorry for the extra work. For some reason my hands always want to type i there instead of e. Maybe subliminal for Tapit?

Liking the Orientate and Forestry options. Had been considering Orientate for another mare and sending two hadn't crossed my mind. And bred to Forestry last year so somehow I think I mentally crossed him off my list -- been there, lets see how it looks, sort of thing.

Appreciate the support of Concord Point. Admittedly, I haven't been big on him, but you're making me take a second look and try to open up my mind a bit.

Any other ideas, please post. I feel a bit guilty in that I seem to get more out of this forum than I probably contribute. But I also believe that the best decisions are ones that you think about until you run out of time. So, just hoping I can keep gaining ideas and perspective.

Thanks.