Diabolical

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Diabolical

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Would love some thoughts on Diabolical (by Artax) with Soulful (Lion Heart x Rich In Love by Seattle Slew).

In my earlier post, someone mentioned a Mr. Prospector line stallion might be a good fit for her. Diabolical has Mr. P on the top and bottom.

Thanks!
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Zia,

Soulful sold well as a yearling ($120k) so I imagine that she's well conformed. The mating is an out-cross with a good deal of line breeding in the fifth generation and beyond.

In this mating Mr. Prospector is 5 x 5 x 5, all through different individuals and 2 mares, (Yarn and Gold Beauty). I like it - well done. 5 crosses to Hail To Reason is a lot and both 5th gens are through males, Mr. Leader and Roberto . I'd prefer one through a female. Your foal may be hot.

With this breeding you recapture some Nasrullah component that may have aided the surprising success of Winrightt with Rajab's Treasure (2nd dam). At the least, that success leads me to believe that it will be well received. Analyzing Teddy doesn't isn't relevant here, he impacted ancestor pedigrees. I'd like to see Soulful bring more Hyperion since Artax responded to an overload of him in Diabolical, Friendly Michelle and others. It's a continuation of the process.

You have Starling under Rajab's Treasure who is Knight's Daughter's half sister. She's a quality influence and rare but probably has little impact or appeal past the academics.

In the absence of proof that specific inbreeding is working for a young stallion, out-crossing is a safer route. I like this mating and hope this is in time to help.

Best of luck,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am

Nice pedigree, nice outcross. Interesting that the hypo pedigree doesn't show Nasrullah in the first five generations considering it has 16 crosses to Nasrullah altogether. In fact, Nasrullah is the #1 influence in the pedigree, with a 4x5 influence and the most blood%.

Conquistador Cielo, Gold Beauty, Yarn; Nice Mr. P through a son and two daughter's in the fifth generation. I like it too.

Diabolical's dams's sire line is Northern Dancer and Soulful's sire line is Northern Dancer. Breeding back the best to the best.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Hey Pete, Im glad you're back on the board after a long absence. Your hands on experience is welcomed.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Pete and Jeff. I really appreciate your analysis and insights.

We've booked Soulful to Diabolical for 2013. :)
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)