Looking for mating advice for this mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

On another thread I see that E Dubai is standing in PA. If the mare is already in PA I must agree that seems a logical choice.

2 Buckpassers and 3 Tom Fools, I'd haul to Ready's Image in Kentucky if it were me. She has several foals ahead of her, try it at least once.

Jeff

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Bohemia wrote:
Certainly MD and PA purse structure is on the improve.

Maryland; yes. Pennsylvania - wouldn't be surprised to see purses on both the thoroughbred and standardbred side start declining a bit. Check out this article from yesterday:

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=103354

Thanks much for that link...that's a bit of news that I've not seen before. Certainly could shift things around.

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

I would look at it this way. If I were trying to create a foal out of your mare that I could sell as a yearling, the main factor is to find a commercial sire in your price range. (Which is actually somewhat hard to do.)
While there have been some excellent ideas on here as to pedigree and crosses, those mean little to a yearling buyer at a horse sale. E Dubai and Eddington sound like good crosses, but a yearling by these sires is not going to sell very well. Here is a list of some sires that may work, with their median yearling prices last year.
Northern Afleet-$8,000 stud fee, $25,000 median sales. One of the best values in the stud book. Nice 4X5 to Northern Dancer.
Forestry $8,000 $20,500 median close storm cat inbreeding, but he has done well with Hennesy daughters.
Proud Citizen, $15,000 $37,000. Would sell well if you can afford the extra. Also nice inbreeding to a couple great Secretariat dams.
Include $12,500 $50,000 median. They sold well last year. Undervalued sire.
Another possible way to go is a foal share with one of the farms. Call Kyle Wilson at Three Chimneys, tell him about your mare. They may do a foal share with Sky Mesa, Big Brown, or Exchange Rate. They have a new stallion who I think will sell well, Calebs Posse.
Another way to go would be with first year sires. Shackelford would be great, but he is full. I like Creative Cause, The Factor, Tapizar, Hansen, Brilliant Speed, and Dialed In. Hope this helps some.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 am

I didn't know Tapizar retired to stud. Strictly from a non scientific gut feeling standpoint I love a horse like Tapizar going to stud. He Had brilliant speed and could carry it a long way against top class horses. He always impressed as a horse with a lot of nervous energy. I like him a lot..
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:50 pm

wgc517 wrote:Madelyn,

Thanks for the explanation very helpful.

I just happened to be on "The American Thoroughbred Review" website and they list Eddington as a worst buy. Not that I put too much stock into any one source but what are your thoughts about this website. For what it's worth they also named Artie Schiller as a worst and I have one on the way.

http://www.ThoroughbredReview.com/StallionWatch.htm

Just a follow up.... on that very same site he names Zanjero as a worst value claiming among other things that" progeny seem to have significant issues with durability". How can anyone say this about a stallion whose first crop just turned THREE? What's the benchmark for this, anyway?

I'm not sure how anyone can put stock in anything that this guy says... but you can be damn sure that anything he has for sale is never, ever by or in foal to a stallion he bashed.
Last edited by Tappiano on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks Tappiano,

I take most of what anyone says with a grain of salt especially if they are selling something but I like to read and ask questions on it. I do like to hear from people who have been in the same boat I am and learn from their experiences.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Okay, good to know. I would hate to have someone make a decision not to use a stallion just because of what that guy said. At the end of the day or the day you sign the contract, you're the one who needs to be comfortable.