Mating advice

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

dkras
Yearling

Mating advice

Postby dkras » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello,

Looking for any suggestions for my mare, Tizling. She is currently in foal to Discreetly Mine for a May 1st foal and I am looking to foal her and breed her back in MD, PA or NY.

Stallions I am considering:

Jump Start (but fee a bit high for me)
Petionville
Great Notion
E Dubai
Friesan Fire
Frost Giant
Smarty Jones

She is a beautiful looking mare, 16 h, and I am looking for a foal that I could sell commercially. She won a MSW @ Belmont. Injured suspensory next time out in an allowance race.

I know her dam side is weak on blacktype however.

She has a half sister by Frost Giant that was a winner in her 3rd start and 2nd MSW in her 2nd start.

The other option is not to breed her back this year and try to start earlier next year.

Thank you!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm

I think a bred-to-sale o/o this mare would be a bad investment.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Why? She is 3/4 in blood to Tiz Wonderful. I know the blacktype isn't there but everything else is.

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:30 am

Was hoping to get input on stallion selections.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 am

I think she nicks best with the stallion she's already in foal to; Discreetly Mine.

If the foal she's carrying ever does well as a runner, then a full sibling would be very attractive.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

Breed back to the best of the sire's dam, in this case, Cee's Tizzy is a good return to the In Reality in Pretty Discreet. The Buckpasser in his dam side likes the In Reality also.

Jeff

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank u very much for ur reply. I liked Discreetly Mine w/ her a lot but this year I was not planning to ship back to KY. Also, I was hoping for a little lower stud fee. I like going back to In Reality also and was also thinking of throwing in a little Mr P since she has none.

She seems to have a lot of stamina in her ped.

What do u think of the stallions on my list for her?

Thanks again,
Diane

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Dkras,

If it was me, I probably would not breed this year. It is tough enough to sell commercially but add in the foal is very late and you might set yourself up for disappointment.

You should be able to get a discount for some of these sires especially the higher ones. (Jump Start and E Dubai)

I did not jump into any analysis but if Frost Giant already showed success with the family and the 1/2 by him is already winning, you might be able to ride some coat tails there when it comes time to sell. I am not sure the mare's page will jump out but if that horse ends up winning some money you might have some interest in the foal.

just some thoughts

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I think Merryland is going to try to set Friesan Fire up as the next Malibu Moon. and you can not ask for a better bottom line.

Also, if you are to have a snowball's chance in hell in the commercial business the foal needs size and maturity and the earlier the better.

And who knows maybe the market will improve with time.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

dkras
Yearling

Postby dkras » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks to all for your input!

Agree on the possibility of waiting til next yr b/c of late foaling date. I figured I'd wait to see when she actually foals this yr and how the foal looks.

Agree on Frost Giant. But was told the other day by the farm where he stands that he is already book full.

Agree on Fresian Fire. Saw him @ the Stallion Open House and like him a lot. MD breds seem to be getting better incentives down the line. Which is great news for those of us in MD

Diane

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Griff what do you think of Cal Nation who also stands with Freisan Fire? Also has a nice tale line.