Recomendations for mare?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

jlm
Newborn

Recomendations for mare?

Postby jlm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Looking for advice on stallion selection. Mare is Ohio Star by Pioneering, 2007. She is 16.2 1/2 hh, medium to a bit fine in frame and average muscling. Slightly toes in-- slightly short, upright in pasterns. No runners yet- just had her first foal, by Langfuhr. I cannot find fault with the foal's conformation. Looking for a KY stallion price range $10,000 or under, or a bit over. We are looking at some in the $15,000 range- but no higher. Considering going back to Langfuhr as we like the foal so much, but also very interested in other suggestions. Thanks!

**Forgot to post originally- we typically are a breed to race operation!**
Last edited by jlm on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 am

Pleasantly Perfect

Successful Appeal
Edited by Moderator

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Afleet Alex

If you don't mind another 5th gen of Mr P, that is...

You can get him for under 10 now I believe and he'll bring those pasterns down...

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:19 am

The length of pastern is determined by bone size so why would you think that crossing small to large would give you medium?

hpkingjr

Discreet Cat

Postby hpkingjr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 am

Darley seems flexible with him right now. Rasmussen to Terlingua.
No additional Mr. P.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:18 am

Tappiano wrote:The length of pastern is determined by bone size so why would you think that crossing small to large would give you medium?

I had an upright mare several years ago and was definitely not going to go to an upright stud. Slope, to me anyway, comprises more than just length or thickness. It worked in my case. Anyway, i think AA provides a good record at a good price point.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:14 pm

I agree that inbreeding to Terlingua is the preferred route, but almost impossible to do a Rasmussen, since she doesnt have any daughters which appear in major stallions' pedigrees. Therefore, you must use Storm Cat, but not necessarily through a son. I would look at sound Northern Dancer or Seattle Slew line horses out of Storm Cat mares. JUMP START fits the bill, even though he broke down at two (under Lukas). He's in PA and may be worth the trip there.

Discreet Cat started at the top and is working his way down. Too fragile and erratic for me.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:46 am

Barcaldine wrote:I agree that inbreeding to Terlingua is the preferred route, but almost impossible to do a Rasmussen,

Discreet Cat started at the top and is working his way down. Too fragile and erratic for me.

The fragility comes from Terlingua.

Rasmussen factor doesn't work, yes horses bred like this sell better but don't run any better.
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:59 am

There was nothing fragile about Terlingua. Dont understand how you could make such a comment.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:15 am

Go through Storm Cats pedigree.
Sire Storm Bird by Northen Dancer
Dam Terlingua by Secretariat

So neither are known for unsoundness?
So their dams must have brought in something?

I am not going to spoon feed you.....

But the answer is Terlingua.
Edited by Moderator

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 am

You simply dont know what you're talking about, again.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 am

Really educate me then.....

So was it a filly?
Edited by Moderator

MattieCat
Yearling

Postby MattieCat » Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 am

Remarquez has fairly nice bloodlines. Two of his last year foals went to racing homes. Take a look at his pedigree; it isn't bad at all. With every sire you have to take a chance -- you might not get anything track-worthy from any sire, or any mare. It all depends on the horse itself; its training, its heart. Of course, advantages and disadvantages come from the lineage, such as greater lung capacity, or larger heart to pump enough blood through the body when racing, but if a horse isn't willing to run, then it won't make a good race horse. Remi seems to pass his amazing temperament down, and stunning conformation! His get also have amazing movement, and over 50% of the time, Remarquez passes down the 'frame' overo gene to his foals -- many of them are maximum expressed (he even breaks the solid coats on the mares!). Take a look at Reed Hill Farm's facebook page to see his incredible get, and read more in the stallion's forum on pedigreequery if you are interested. His fee is only $1,000. Maybe you racers want to add some color to the track?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 am

Maybe too cheap for you, but I like her with Badge of Silver..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:14 am

dublino wrote:Pleasantly Perfect

Successful Appeal

Hey Dublino

You had recommended Pleasantly Perfect, but he's sinking like a stone with no SWs last year. What's your take on him these days?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.