Recomendations for mare?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 am

dublino wrote:
What chance he is a proven sire standing for $5,000 for the mare I was commenting on, Ohio Star, for people who are breed to race, again where is the risk?

Proven or no, the stud still has to make sense for the mare and make sense for where they plan to run the mare. If they're running in the midwest circuit (Turfway, Arlington, Prairie Meadows, Thistledown, Indiana Downs) then it makes ZERO sense to breed to a horse whose best foals run longer (because the vast majority of races are 6-7f), ZERO sense to a horse whose best foals run older (because not only purses but breeders awards add up, and you don't get them when the horse is in a barn), and ZERO sense to breed to a horse who hasn't shown that he will consistently get class in his foals. Sometimes he does. Many times he doesn't. It doesn't even need to be graded stakes class, just solid allowance and mid-level claiming pays the bills just fine.

Pleasantly Perfect fails ALL of those boxes for this particular mare. They would have had a better shot at success in all three for the recently pensioned Smoke Glacken at $10k, or definitely with Successful Appeal (who gets stakes and graded stakes quality very often), than they would with Pleasantly Perfect.

Cheap price doesn't mean value price.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:05 am

dublino wrote:Pleasantly Perfect

Successful Appeal

They were my two choices for the mare.

If you have an unbiased view towards Pleasantly Perfect - whatever I am not going to try and change that.

A quick search and I found Pefect Time Out

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Result ... registry=T

A 2 yr old winner over 5 1/2 F who just won over 1m 1/16 as a 4 yr old in an allowance race.

So early cheap speed and a horse that can step up in trip as it gets older.
Edited by Moderator