Breeding suggestions?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Lunatrick
Newborn

Breeding suggestions?

Postby Lunatrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 pm

We bought this mare off the track as a jumping prospect a few years ago, but I've always secretly wanted to ship her to KY for a breeding. She came with some pretty messed-up feet -- multiple layers of impacted sole with lots of bruising underneath, farrier said she had the worst feet he'd seen in at least a year but it was a competency issue and not genetics -- so I'm not holding her racing record against her (she broke her maiden at 8.5F on the turf in a CD MSW at first asking so she has at least SOME ability in there). She sold as her day's high at KEESEP as a yearling and is still quite the physical specimen (16.1, extremely well balanced, just the tiniest smidgen over at the knee), so I'd like to think she could pass on those looks.

TRICK OF THE SOUTH (USA) dkb/br. F, 2003 DP = 9-2-13-0-0 (24) DI = 2.69 CD = 0.83 - 20 Starts, 2 Wins, 0 Places, 3 Shows
http://www.pedigreequery.com/trick+of+the+south

Any thoughts on a match for breed to sell (or heck, breed to race even since I'm not very likely to get to do either one)? In the interest of keeping it realistic I'd like to stay at or under 40K for the fee.

I know she's kind of at a dead end in terms of her dam/sibling performances but she's got some decent blood in there so humor me please! :wink:

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with

Henny Hughes @ $7,500

If you want to go at a higher fee
Midnight Lute
Into Mischief both @ $20,000

and
Harlans Holiday @ $35,000

Your mare had a 1/2 brother by Stormy Atlantic that sold for $300k that's why I suggested most sires by the Storm Cat line.
Edited by Moderator

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:06 pm

go with the best son of AP Indy you can afford and you'll have Boldnesian at the top of the pedigree and his 1/2 sister Table Of Contents at the very bottom of the pedigree.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-regi ... /astrology

Astrology would be a good choice
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Are you looking to breed her now?

What's wrong with Yes It's True? I love him, just did not have a mare who matched him physically.

In terms of stud fee do you think realistically your mares first foal off a 40K stud fee would sell for 55K which is probably the break even point for you?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Tappiano wrote:Are you looking to breed her now?

What's wrong with Yes It's True? I love him, just did not have a mare who matched him physically.

In terms of stud fee do you think realistically your mares first foal off a 40K stud fee would sell for 55K which is probably the break even point for you?

A 'Yes It's True' mating would result in a 3X2 Clever Trick. Three Chimney's Stud would never do it.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

Here's one a bit close, 3X2 Clever Trick and 3X3 Southern Halo.

I'd do it.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Jeff wrote:
Tappiano wrote:Are you looking to breed her now?

A 'Yes It's True' mating would result in a 3X2 Clever Trick. Three Chimney's Stud would never do it.

Why would you say that?

Lunatrick
Newborn

Postby Lunatrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Tappiano wrote:In terms of stud fee do you think realistically your mares first foal off a 40K stud fee would sell for 55K which is probably the break even point for you?

She sold for $230K herself with a full and a half sib on the ground that hadn't run yet (her stakes placed Stormy Atlantic half sis hadn't even been born yet!) and an unraced mother who had no successful siblings (racing or breeding) either, so I think that anything's possible! :lol:

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Belong to me @$5,000 if you are going to race the foal.
Won't get too rich selling it but great cross.
Edited by Moderator

Lunatrick
Newborn

Postby Lunatrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 pm

dublino wrote:Belong to me @$5,000 if you are going to race the foal.
Won't get too rich selling it but great cross.

I was seriously just about to type this one out as a question lol I wish he was just a couple years younger because I couldn't pull the trigger on it for at least a year or two...

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... +THE+SOUTH

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:38 pm

I would if I was you ring Walmac and ask them to do you a deal on Henny Hughes.
Tell them you would sell the foal as a weanling and split the profit 50/50.
And also put them down as breeders or co-breeders.
The worst they could do is say no?

It would keep your costs down to a minimum and get some foals on the ground for your mare, which she needs.
Edited by Moderator

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Also Exchange Rate @ $30,000 is another one to dream about... :)
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 am

Second the recommendation for Belong to Me--according to the TrueNicks list of stakes winners on a Danzig/Clever Trick cross, at least 4 of the best horses including the best runner are by Belong to Me. He won't make money at the sales but he does get nice horses who run and win.

Include is more expensive at $12,500 but he has two stakes winners and three other winners out of Clever Trick-line mares (one of whom is, to be fair, the kind of mare you can breed a saint bernard to and get a Gr-1 horse). His sales figs last year were respectable and his foals are sound, run, win, and make good money. Nearly 80% of his foals make it to the races, and of the ones who run, 80% of them win.