Could you compare these stallions?

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Could you compare these stallions?

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Stored is a son of champion Safely Kept, whose best wins were allowance-class. Safely Kept was a mighty, mighty racemare, but as a broodmare she never came close to replicating her talent. Her top earner was Peace Chant, by War Chant.

As a potential sporthorse stallion, Forty Niner and Damascus both have jump. He's double-bred to Bold Ruler, also jump, and has a line to Damascus which is a good line for sport. The mare Shenanigans produced IceCapade--both he and his son are good and solid for sport....I used to own a horse by an IceCapade son who was a teenager's 3-day eventer before I got him, and he just ate up the cross-country.

Despite being out of a champion sprinter, Stored's sire is a Belmont winner, and the Forty Niner line has been a fairly reliable source of stamina (Belmont/BC Classic winner Drosselmeyer, Derby winners Funny Cide and I'll Have Another, Belmont winner Editor's Note, etc). You won't know until he gets to training age, but he may have more distance than you think, especially with his dam line.

Bottom line is, if he has distance, enough speed, and jump, he might chase. If you have sport folks looking at him as a jumping or eventing prospect, he'll probably do just as well there.