New breeder first attempt-How did i go

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Breeder
Newborn

New breeder first attempt-How did i go

Postby Breeder » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:38 am

Hi Everyone,

About 6 weeks ago i decided to breed my own racehorse, 15 years ago i bought into some syndicates(was 21) and soon after i realised i had been had, got sold shares in gallopers that were formerly in top stables but injury prone. i then decided if i was ever going to do it again id breed a horse myself, id forgotten about it until 6 weeks ago and decided to try, its all about following my passion, im going to learn to train and want a small band of mares whose progeny i will look after, train myself, and potentially breed from, so its a long term thing for me, a lifestyle change you could say.

So, 6 weeks ago i didnt even know that Nearctic, Nasrullah and Royal Charger were brothers, I didnt even know Royal Charger existed, I have a high capacity for absorbing information so i got stuck into it, Crosses, nicks, linebreeding, inbreeding, female families, Chefs de Race, Reines de Course, sex balancing, cross duplications, conformation, types, read Tesios book, some of the book by Montgomery lady(what could access online for free) on breeding to female families i analyzed what has worked previously with the blood lines of the stallion his sire- with dam sire grand sire, female family record, female families in general, sire record etc, i just got ingrossed.

After missing out on a couple of mares i came across a mare called Swanky Girl by Volksraad out of a G1 winning mare Conifer Bay by Virginia Privateer, Swankys full sister has won at G3 level and produced 2 Stakes winners. Swanky herself has produced 6 runners for 3 winners.

http://www.bloodstock.com.au/bloodstock/broodmare/swanky-girl#pedigree

I analysed every stallion in Western Australia. settled on a Stallion called Natural Blitz by Dehere out of a Zabeel mare, not a commercially popular stallion and hasnt been offered the same opportunity as other stallions, some people in the industry here think he is very good value for money, i just thought he matched best with my mare, and he was tough.

http://www.bloodstock.com.au/bloodstock/stallion/natural-blitz-1

sex balancing worked well in first few generations, and gave me some duplications that worked with her sister and also some crosses that hadnt been tried but worked well everywhere i looked with Volksraad mares, Sir Ivor-sir gaylord/somethingroyal plus Secretariat through 2 daughters, in essence trying to linebreed to princequallo and Nearco, with attention to mumtaz lines, I tried to stay away from Danehill and Raise a Native( I ran out of time to learn more about Virginia Privateer and Majestic Prince)

Anyway what i am trying to breed is a horse that is tough, sound, can win over a classic distance, and if i dont and the mating produces a filly, that it might be a good broodmare later on, I know i dont have enough understanding and may have made mistakes, but i ran out of time, put everything i learnt into practice and ultimately just backed myself, i would appreciate some constructive criticism on how i went, and how to improve going forward

The mare cost me $1000 and the service fee about $2500, mare got served last week and im very happy

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php?query_type=hypomating&search_bar=hypomating&l=&all=No&g=7&hypo_name=&hypo_yob=&hypo_sex=&cellpadding=0&cellspacing=0&small_font=1&border=0&no_ads=&text_color=000000&bgcolor=&t=&done=y&hypo_sire=NATURAL+BLITZ2&hypo_dam=SWANKY+GIRL

Breeder
Newborn

Re: New breeder first attempt-How did i go

Postby Breeder » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:26 pm

I just did a bit more of an indepth analysis on Virginia Privateer - Majestic Prince, ill say this- I hope its a filly