How to compare Triads

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Camilo
Newborn

How to compare Triads

Postby Camilo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:32 pm

I am new to this forum and starting to work on breeding and mating. Here is a simple question ....the higher I get from adding the three numbers of Triad the better product I will get ? For example a Triad: 18 23 21 will produce a better product than a Triad: 12 15 16 ?

Thanks and I appreciate your advice.

Camilo
Newborn

Re: How to compare Triads

Postby Camilo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Well I just gave up ! Not many friendly people on these forums.

Mac
Allowance Winner

Postby Mac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Camilo,

Sorry no one is checking this thread which is probably the case. I haven't looked in for days. I think high triads definitely better than low, meaning the dams in the family are carrying / displaying high levels of performance at all distances. Some serious breeders believe balanced triads where the numbers across the board are fairly close to each other are better, which I guess makes some sense so that your resulting progeny can be entitled to both early speed / acceleration as well as the ability to carry it around two turns. However, great racehorses have performed at the grade 1 level with very unbalanced triads or light in one category or another and still be phenomenal. But if you could have your dream scenario, high triads that are balanced are probably considered best. Good look with your breeding. Are you breeding to race or to sell?

jagger
Grade III Winner

Postby jagger » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:58 am

I would suggest reading anything and everything by Bill Lathrop who is the developer of the Conduit Mare Profile. Bill is a frequent contributor to this forum.

Camilo
Newborn

Postby Camilo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:25 am

Many thanks Mac. I am breeding for sale, and that is the reason why I needed to better understand the value of the Triads.

Thanks again.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 am

Ignore them for sales concentrate on size and confirmation of your foal and sires sales average.
Edited by Moderator

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 am

I completely agree with Dublino. Focusing on things like triads get you nowhere in a sales environment.