Breeding advice needed

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Breeding advice needed

Postby wgc517 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:18 pm

I know some of you love to think through matings and I was hoping to get some of your opinions on a new mare I bought last year.
Her name is Tapit Precious, 3 yo. She is currently in foal to Dunkirk. I am looking to stay around 10-15K. Obviously I would take a higher stud fee if they would come down in price. If you make a suggestion can you share your reasons why. It would be appreciated.

thanks

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: Breeding advice needed

Postby dublino » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:19 am

Can't you get Birdstone for free?

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov11/pdfs/286.pdf

Graded earnings inside first two dams?

What about Afleet Alex No 3 on sires list for 2 yr old winners.

Discreet Cat opens the pedigree up giving a total outcross in first 5 gen and being by storm cat should be early. $44k average last year for yearlings

Street Boss could also be an option.

I feel this mare being a non winner and the page getting light under the first two dams need early runners and winners.

If you want unproven how about Macleans Music or Cairo Prince.
Edited by Moderator

drsamurai
Weanling

Postby drsamurai » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:46 am

My 2 cents worth, which is about all its worth, would be Blame. He's a little over budget, but who knows. My second choice would be Data Link.

My reasoning is certainly not mainstream, but your mare's female family doesn't have any strong trends in affinity. They are mostly successful with total outcrosses, which might lead me to go "gray" with something from El Prado, such as Paddy O'Prado or Artie Schiller. However, Tapitsfly was certainly successful carrying a couple of lines of Nijinsky which Blame offers. Plus, his foals are selling quite well.

Data Link offers the same War Front over Pulpit which produced Departing and a Rasmussen to Ruby Slippers for those who like that theory. (Rasmussen buyers tend to pay slightly more for their beliefs)

Whoever you choose to send her to, I hope she throws SOMETHING SPECIAL. Good Luck.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:43 pm

agree with the War Front angle.... you might in addition to Data Link consider The Factor

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:41 pm

I like the Artie Schiller mating. He has 8 runners from AP Indy line mares. Seven winners, two stakes winners.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.