hypothectically speaking

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

hypothectically speaking

Postby 3nutmeg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 am

If you had a choice to foal out in NY or PA, which state has the better incentives?

Hypothectically- If you use nicking as one aspect of selecting a stallion, what decision would you make? You are breeding to race, conform. is good. Both raced well black type graded stakes. S1. made more money.
Stallion 1. Proven stallion. C+ w/4 black type sw on your cross.
Stallion 2. Enters stud 2015. A+ w/3 graded stakes win/pl, with 10 black type wnrs.- with total 15 winners from sire line/exact bm.sire.

Would you take a chance on Stallion 2?

Thanks

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Re: hypothectically speaking

Postby Blue feather » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:10 pm

I believe both NY and PA have very good programs. It seems to me, although NY will have better money, along with that comes higher expenses and tougher competition. As far as your stallion selection, If breeding to race, I would always go with the proven stallion. Considering stallion market is one of the most competitive areas in thoroughbred racing, the likelihood of new stallions even being around in 5 years is remote. When breeding to race, considering the time and commitment from sire selection to the first race is so long, the last thing I would want to do is be 3 years down the road with a foal by a new sire who has tanked. You can eliminate that possibility by choosing a proven sire. I believe it's important to reduce your risk in an already risky proposition. The new sire certainly could be a star but, grab a sire catalog from 5 years ago and see how many sires have succeeded that started that year. Dam few. Good Luck!!

madelyn

Re: hypothectically speaking

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:19 am

If the status quo stays as it is, I would go with PA. There is a lot of money available for PA breds at the lower end of racing and if your breeding resulted in a modestly talented horse you would do better in PA.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....