broodmare prospect

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

broodmare prospect

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 pm

there's a 2008 race mare I've been tracking. she's raced 72 times, now as a low level claimer. I am considering claiming her to use as a broodmare but i'm
wondering if so many years, so many races could have a negative impact on her breeding capacity, from a possible/probable medication standpoint. thoughts? thanks.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: broodmare prospect

Postby Joltman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:38 pm

there are lots that race heavily, and still make it as broodmares. Depends on the individual. If she's at the end of the career, consider contacting the trainer, they might work with you as they are looking for a new home for the horse and will let you vet her for breeding soundness. Prob cost less than the claiming tag, and no hassles.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:22 am

I've had several mares similar to the one you are looking at. All got in foal the first year I bred them. Most got in foal first cover but those ones I got earlier in the year (like June or July) so they had many months to sit. The couple that I got more in the October / December type time frame got in foal the following year as well but took longer to come in and then took 2 covers. So their first foals ended up being late March babies.

I agree that if there is any way to contact the trainer and buy that way I would do that.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 am

If she's nicely bred and well conformed, a mare that sound would be a great addition and you would certainly be doing her a Big Favor!!! Personally I have not found extensive racing to be an impediment in fact the best bred mare I have and the TOUGHEST to get in foal at all is unraced. Good luck and bless you for wanting to try!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....