Signs And Omens

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Signs And Omens

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Signs And Omens! :) Received my 4March2017 Bloodhorse on 4 March, 40th anniversary commemoration of Slew's 1977 Triple Crown win. On that same day (3-4), received my 4March2006 Bloodhorse commemoration issue of Buckpasser's legacy as a great broodmare sire! :shock:
Will wonders ever cease :?: I'm taking this as an omen, that I should haul my 3x3 Buckpasser mare (Found Her), up the hill 50 miles to a son of SS (Slewcious)
I suspect that signs and omens have had more to do with mating plans than one would imagine.(or admit)

Would love to ship her to Einstein as he's nearby this year too, the 75% equivalency between Buckfinder and Squander in the pedigree, but almost seems to close to me, and his is a sire line in descent is no incentive either. Other SS line sires in CA to consider also. Would try Prince Charmant again, but he's at the far side of the state, not willing to ship or haul a 17 year old mare that far.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Re: Signs And Omens

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/fact+finding2

Here's another sign, Slewcious is 1/2 brother to The Factor, and in his first crop, this colt Fact Finding is 3×3 Miswaki (Mr. P over BP). I recall some buzz about duplications of Mr.P and BP in the same pedigree is a good thing, looks like it worked in Fact Finding, of course his sire and dam have shown more class than my mare or Uncle Slewcious, but it was successful inbreeding.

Slewcious has been nearby for many years and have not hauled a mare to him, but have been keeping track of his 1/2 bro's offspring and The Factor has been quite successful with a G1 2 year old filly in his first crop. Considering his 1/2 The Factor's success, and his 3/4 bro Chief Seattle's success at stud, I'm willing to take a chance that Greyciousness, dam of The Factor and Slewcious, and their 2nd dam Skatingonthinice, the dam of Chief Seattle, I'm thinking these dam's are obviously successful as dams of good sire's, so a 1/2 bro, 3/4 bro like Slewcious might have a chance of producing a good runner. Stuck in Northern California mountains, Slewcious has had very few mares, and hardly any chance at stud, could be a hidden gem for someone like me who lives nearby and plans to race the foal on the CA circuit. Or not. :lol:

I

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm

I see Einstein has only 1 foal out of a Fappiano line mare, and he definitely likes returns of Tom Fool and Buckpasser, so maybe this could be the lottery ticket?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:43 am

Is breeding to that stallion worth all the costs of raising another foal? Since you have sold previous ones, why not, if you're really serious about breeding again, go to one of the commercially appealing stallions in the state. I've been told there's demand out in CA for nice foals so why not piggy back on your mare producing winners and get a good deal to a good stallion.