If you were me.... Pretty hypothetical

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

doublete
Allowance Winner

If you were me.... Pretty hypothetical

Postby doublete » Mon May 16, 2005 7:41 pm

If you were me and were breeding your two mares for your OWN use, which means you will race/train and raise your own foals, and do show horses as well so a dud on the track does NOT mean the horse is out of luck with you, you have these two mares. Yes this is late in the year, but leave it to me. :oops:

A daughter of Activist, first winner from his test crop. Varda. Not a standout to some eyes, but I ran her myself. I saw her heart. And know that since she was two she has had chips in her left knee, which also resulted in a near slab fracture. Distance mare (miler) with a strong closing kick. I love this mare. She's also big (16.1) and a pretty mover. If you had your choices, would you
a) breed to a stallion that did ok on the track himself, Nijinsky grandson (top side), dam side has winners, half brother to dam of stakes (G1 and G2) placed. Not many foals on the track (although, winners) , but I've had experience with two of them, athletic as heck, and very nice movers. So they could be show horses (dressage/eventers EASILY)- most of his foals ARE show horses instead of race horses because they make such niceones.
or b) breed to a son of pembroke. dam is stakes placed. stallion seems to be a sprinter (speed and lots of it). but unproven as sire. not sure of his soundness either.
These are my two choices.

I'm leaning towards the first choice to be quite honest.

With my second mare, also soundness issues. Knee again. She's got a decent pedigree, with her second dam having foals with blacktype I believe. 3rd dam is half to at least two stakes winners, including one that beat Alydar according to the database, not sure how accurate that is. Cassie's Quiet is her name- ran 6 f I think. She was a Mike Gill claim. Not very big (15.1 or 15.2), but a pretty mover.
Same two choices on her. Gone West that close I don't think is a good idea, so I'm probably leaning towards the first one with her again.

If you don't really think either is a good idea, don't post. :wink: I'm just looking for some opinions.
Racing and retraining.