New York stud for Hop to It

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

New York stud for Hop to It

Postby henthorn » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:03 pm

I'm planning to foal Hop to It's Include foal in NY and breed back to a NY stallion this spring. Her pedigree's a little tricky to figure, so I'd appreciate some help on choosing a proper mating for commercial sale. Am considering Wheelaway if he's available late in the season, but definitely not yet decided.

She was a late-closing miler on the dirt and better on the turf, sound, and a late-bloomer. She is 15.3hh. Her best half-bro is a son of Broad Brush, and her best half-sis is by Concern. Her dam is by Deputed Testamony, and she herself is a daughter of Bien Bien.
Rocking H

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:52 pm

You aren't kidding about the pedigree being hard to match; though it isn't a surprise to me that the dam's done her best work with Broad Brush given how Deputed Testimony was sire Maid Of Mashem and dam 21-a (this is a reverse on Broad Brush and Daylami).

It's important that this mare has a very rare stallion named Fritz Maisel, who also (interestingly enough) is found on the female line of Bien Bien's number one daughter Bien Nicole. Fritz Maisel was power-packed to the Maid Of Mashem tribe (he having Fair Play, 4x4 inbreeding to Star Shoot, with one of the Star Shoot's coming through a very rare cross of his son Sir Barton, who also traced back to Maid Of Mashem; note the additional presence of 5x5 linebreeding to Rock Sand).

This makes it all the more interesting that Cuvee's 2nd dam is also the 2nd dam of Bien Nicole; besides that unusual and interesting cross of Fritz Maisel being found on both female lines, there's a cute 5x5 cross of Matriarch and Reverse; who share either Nasrullah or Royal Charger, Bull Lea, and either War Admiral or background strains of Fair Play, Rock Sand, and Sweep.

He was a very good 2YO (and should have been the Champion), but I haven't though of Cuvee as a stallion all that much before now (don't really know why). It's still quite interesting about Bien Nicole and him having the same 2nd dam.

Hop To It is actually distantly related in the female line to Society Selection (see http://www.pedigreepost.com/archives/So ... ntura.html ) and Concern (see her 2nd best half-sibling).

Why New York?

-llbean

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:03 pm

BTW, I think linebreeding 4x5 to the stamina oriented stallion Le Fabuleux with one of the crosses coming through a stallion (Bien Bien) who won the San Juan Capistrano AND whose best son (Bienamado) also won the San Juan Capistrano would be a big mistake (especially given what you said about the mare as an individual).

-llbean

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:05 am

I agree with llbean about the Wheelaway cross. I would suggest Catienus, Rock N Roll, Mayakovsky and Western Expression at a price. Cat is well supported and will probably be back in KY by the time this progeny went to auction. I think both Rock N Roll and Mayakovsky will be a success despite modest backings and Western did very well this year if you look inside the numbers. Although I would want to get a much better price than his listed 10,000.

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:13 pm

look at Lycius and Judge TC in NY. I think these are two very good stallions which improve their mares tremendously. Lycius will give you a dirt or Turf horse. Lycius is very muscular and throws a lot of speed, Judge TC is medium sized, slender and very athletic. He gives you a nicely balanced horse. I have seen many of his foals and they all look very athletic--like him. Hope this helps. Kings Grant is a very good sire, which most people will not of heard of, but I think his progeny will prove he can sire a very nice runner. Kings Grant stands for 1,500; Judge TC stands for 8,500; and Lycius stands for 6,500. ?????
best regards Brendan

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks, all. I thought of Lycius, but wasn't sure about the inbreeding to Lyphard. I also like Judge TC and Rock and Roll.
Rocking H

Keith
Grade III Winner

There Are several stallions I would consider

Postby Keith » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Henthorn,

1. Wiseman's Ferry by Hennessy-Emmaus by Silver Deputy winner of $825,266-West Virginia Derby,Lone Star Derby,etc. Bienamado a millionaire winning son of Bien Bien goes back to Hawaii the sire of his second dam. Hawaii is the broodmare sire of Hennessy. Bien Nicole who won a million dollars was sent to Bernstein who is bred similar to Wiseman's Ferry. If she throws a great runner. You would have a similar cross help making your foal to be worth more in the sale ring if you plan to sell. Also line breeding on Northern Dancer seems to be very successful. Crossed with your mare you would get
5x5x5x6 Northern Dancer
5x6 Princequillo
2. Good and Tough by Carson City-Amy Be Good by Northern Raja His foals are running well. Duckhorn another stallion who ran well was by a son of Mr. Prospector and out of a Deputed Testamony mare. Crossed with your mare you would get
5x5x5x6 Northern Dancer
6x6x6x6x7 Nasrullah
5x6 Bold Ruler
5x5 Princequillo
3. Strategic Mission by Mr. Prospector-Sultry Sun by Buckfinder
You could not ask for a better pedigree and the horse could also run winning the Gr. III Fort Marcy H. and he is a half brother to millionaires
Sultry Song and Solar Splendor. Crossed with your mare you would get
4x5 Native Dancer
5x5 Northern Dancer
5x5 Princequillo
5x6x6 Count Fleet

Keith