Northern Dancer's Sire Sons

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Northern Dancer's Sire Sons

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:23 pm

I read today that ND's son, Jugah, has now been retired from stud duties in Australia.

Just wondering if there are any other sons of ND still standing at stud on a commercial basis anywhere in the world? Apart from Sadlers Wells of course. :)

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:54 pm

Dixieland Band is the only one that springs to mind. Unless I missed some recent news, he's still standing at Lane's End.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:57 pm

I actually looked into this the other day out of curiosity and looking for a stallion for 2005. They are just about gone.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:57 am

Sadler's Wells and Dixieland Band are about the only "big name" ND sons still standing, but the Thoroughbred Times Stallion Register lists the following as still active for 2005 in various parts of the world: Ajraas, Alfarqad, Alwasmi, Amazing Dancer, Best of Dancer, Cresta Rider, Dance Bid, Follow the Drum, Giboulee, Glow, Il Corsaro, Imperial Fling, Local Talent, Lomond, Manshood, Mashhor Dancer, Middle Kingdom, Night Shift, Northern Chateau, Northern Fashion, Northern Flagship, Northern Horizon, Northern Park, Northern Passage, Northern State, Northern Symphony, Northern Treat, Obligato, Oceanic Dancer, Ragtime Band, Rakeen, Razeen, Shotiche, Tamono Dancer, Viking, Voodoo Rhythm, and Warrshan.

Heh - for some reason, I'd thought Rakeen was gone. Wasn't (isn't) he a good sire in South Africa?
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:00 am

Interesting Muhubah that at least two of the stallions are still listed.

Both Middle Kingdom and Voodoo Rhythm have not had stallions returns lodged since the 2002 breeding season in Oz plus Northern Chateau covered only one mare last season that just happened to belong to his owner. Manshood has not had a stallion return lodged as yet (?) with the Australian Stud Book for the past season and I haven't heard if he has passed on or been pensioned but given that he is not "high profile" I can't be sure if he is still going strong or not. He covered 26 mares in 2003 for 14 live foal returns.

Would still be interesting to hear from others around the world regarding the ND's boys.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:58 am

Rakeen is a useful sire in South Africa. He stood the 2004 breeding season at R20,000 live foal.

The only other active ND stallion in South Africa is Rambo Dancer.

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:14 pm

I believe Shotiche is still around. He was sold out of Iowa and stands in ON? I think ....

There is another Northern Dancer son in Iowa now.

~Adrienne

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:39 pm

obligato ....standing in NY is the rodney dangerfield of of the remaining ND son's in the east...he might be the only one.....1500 lf. 500 ng.....been mis managed for years :roll: and just might be getting a break :D with the man standing him now...al martin..heck obligato is what about 22 or so now...he's in great shape....get em' while you can.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:20 pm

hi Mahubah

Haven't seen the name Cresta Rider for a long time. If you recall...he and Nureyev were young Niarchos stallions. Nureyev stood at Walmac...Cresta Rider went to Gainesway. Both were beautiful to look at but were different in many ways.

Cresta Rider was a $250k per share stallion...at the same time Nureyev was approx $400k per share.

Both had fertility issues...but Nureyev became an outstanding sire...Cresta Rider never really accomplished much.

Thanks Mahubah...Cresta Rider...a name from the past.

Respectfully