TRI JET

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

louis finochio
Darley line

TRI JET

Postby louis finochio » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:32 pm

TRI JET dk.b. 1969
Jester---Haze, by Olympia

Tri Jet was bred and raced by Fred Hooper. Tri Jet made 46 starts and won 17 times, and earned $413,000.

Tri Jet had a habit of running away from the hot walkers, when being walked on the toe ring. Tri Jet would drag the hot walkers down the road then circle the barns, then come back to his barn unharmed. Tri Jet made a game of this, until Ross Fenstermaker walked him. Ross put the shank under his lips and when Tri Jet tried to runaway Ross yanked on the shank repeatedly and finally broke Tri Jet of his bad habit. Ross was the only one that could walk Tri Jet.

When Tri Jet was going to be sold to the Japanese for stud duty, the new owners to be were waiting for Tri Jet to be walked out of the barn so they could inspect him. The farm manager walked Tri Jet out to let the Japanese have a look at him, thats when Tri Jet took off and drug the farm manager down the road. When the Japanese saw what happened, they said that they didnt have anybody in Japan that was strong enough to walk Tri Jet and they refused to buy Tri Jet.

This was Fred Hooper luck that the above took place, as Tri Jet was the leading sire for 4 years. This story was told to me by Ross Fenstemaker.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:04 pm

I take it you mean the leading sire in Florida? Don't think Tri Jet ever took national honors, but what a grand old horse -- his progeny were sound as bells and most of them could run some too.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

sparta
2yo Maiden

Postby sparta » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:45 pm

Hooper was remarkable; he bred lots of successful horses and I don't think a single one had a pedigree that anyone would call fashionable.

Copelan is one of my favorite broodmare sires.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:10 pm

Well that explains why Sylvester Stone had the attitude that he did. He would drag me around the barn and pasture until he got bored and then stand for whatever was being done to him for however long it took. But first he had to do his laps dragging me!

I have also been told that Tri Jet is a great speed influence in QH's

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:15 am

His son Triple Sec - along with Orbit Dancer - as sires were the breeding to race backbone of the Texas Thoroughbred breeding industry for many years - and those Triple Secs could run fast and most handled lots of outs too.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:09 pm

hi all,

Tri Jet was a strong...neat and somewhat compact type of horse. I suggest he had little of what might be described as a scopy "classic" look about him...although his very talented son Copelan (who by the way was back-at-the-knee) did lean in that direction.

Despite it all...I submit that Tri Jet was a very nice horse (and a sire and broodmare-sire of note)...and some daughters of his son Copelan have proven to be quite special...and often have been sought-out by savvy breeders.

Respectfully

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:54 am

Copelan must not have thrown that knee much or else the defect was slight, since he also had a very high percentage of winners (around 70%, I think) and 8-9% stakes winners. Of course he had every right to throw toughness with Tri Jet as sire and three-time champion Susan's Girl as dam.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:48 am

My late stallion Sylvester Stone was by Copelan, he raced sound until he was 9. 73starts, 11, 16, 15 earnings $265K He had good knees but hind ankles where alittle strange, not sure how to describe them, just looked "off" sure didnt hinder his racing at all.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:43 pm

Tri Jet can be found in the dam side of the 3rd. generation in both Ghostzapper and Rockport Harbor. This Tri Jet influence Is another positive for Tri Jet. Are you reading this upstairs Mr. Fred W. Hooper, congrats to you from all of us. Thanks for the memories.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio