Good sire or not, need input

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joe
Starters Handicap

Good sire or not, need input

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:07 pm

My question is about Wheaton. I'm not a great fan of Alydar as a sire of sires, but wheaton seems to have broke the mold, at least for good allownace and minor stakes.

What are your thoughts of him ?

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:02 pm

After checking the mares that Wheaton was bred to, I rate them a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Wheaton has out-bred his mares, and is a useful stallion for the small and middle breeder. Wheaton stud fee of 3,500 is about right for his stats. Wheaton has the same neck as Secretariat had, powerful and strong. Good Luck if you breed to him.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Joe
He has a great picture in the data base and I believe he is a one-half brother to Storm Cat.

However, the data base also says he has a 11/1/2/1 with $6,503 in winnings. Where could they have been racing him for him to be in the money four times and only win $6,503.

Second, the data base says Overlook was using him as a teasing stallion which, in my book, says that don't very much of him. Teasing is a tough job and many teasers can hardly walk after a season or two. Also, the data base says his fee at Overlook was $1,000 while he was teasing.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:16 pm

I guess I can believe that Griff, but I play the horses and have made good money for the last few years on Wheaton's horses, especially in MSW where they often win at big prices. They all seem to run, at least the ones that get to the track. Pin Oak in PA is Overbrook north, so Overbrook still owns him.

Thanks for the input.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Thank you also Louis. He is a 1/2 to Storm Cat out of Teralingua, who was Broodmare of the Year.

Busanda
Yearling

Postby Busanda » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:11 pm

I personally have allways loved Wheaton. His 2yo's are deceptively good and I truly think given a mare of class the foal could be outstanding. Obviously he's a breed to race stallion but I dont think there's many at a better price. He's also one of the best stallions to see in flesh. I'm currently shopping around for a few breed to race mares and he's who I have in mind to breed to. By the way, for an ex-teaser, he's doing extremely well on the sire lists. Overbrook let this one slip in my opinion.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:50 am

What kind of pedigree would nick with Wheaton?

griff

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:20 am

This is my opinion on the pedigree of Wheaton.

When Raise You (Teddy) sire line was bred to Native Dancer, the result was Raise a Native.

When Plum Cake (Gainsborough) sire line was bred to On-an-On, the result was Sweet Tooth.

When Somethingroyal (Prince Rose) sire line was bred to Bold Ruler the result was Secretariat.

When Crimson Saint (Peter Pan) sire line was bred to Secretariat, the result was Terlingua.

Wheaton is not the carbon copy of his half bro. Storm Cat but is a useful sire for the small and middle breeder.

I would continue to use the outcross of (Fair Play) to add quality and soundness to Wheaton's foals. If you have mare's by Valid Appeal or Honour and Glory (Fair Play) sire line that would be a step in the right direction. This (Fair Play) and (Phalaris) nick has produced superior runners.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:02 pm

Which one of these four mares would you greed to Weaton in 2005?

Adamandia's Girl, Hot Concern, First Chorus or Ace Up Her Sleeve.

I'd hope to race the foal as a PABRED in 2008.

griff

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:43 pm

Wheaton was used as a teaser at Overbrook last year (I had to tease a few mares to him and he was an idiot) after they got him back from the farm in FL. Apparently his offspring were pretty psycho.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:57 pm

Griff,

Good to see you're seeing the PA way of thinking. We'll be gald to have you. any help you need, let me know. I will tell you a few things, but will do it offline.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:09 am

Joe

my email is [email protected]

griff

Ann
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Ann » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:13 am

We had a Wheaton colt here and he was lovely, well made and no head case. His dam wasn't anything to talk about...just a good old solid mare. The colt didn't belong too us..simply boarded his dam here. The people that bought this colt did so because they've had a some good runners by Wheaton . Since rumors fly here concerning stallions, I'd asked particularly about the disposition of Wheaton. they said he could be very "tough" but the colts they'd had were "solid and honest".

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:58 pm

Thanks for the info Ann, very good to know. I've noticed they run honest and win. They may be of a certain class, but a winner is a winner and these all seem to try.