Stallion questions *California*

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Stallion questions *California*

Postby Inthe951 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:36 am

Madraar by Mr Prospector out of Jood. Curious how his races are ranked since he raced at Nad Al Sheba. Stud fee $3500. His first foals are two year olds of 2005 has anyone seen any? Any comments or thoughts on him.

also

Rhythm by Mr Prospector out of Dance numbers. Standing Private treaty. Seemed to have produced a few in other coountrys. I like his bloodlines and winnings. Any comments on this guy also anyone have an idea on his fee or what is should be.

thanks-meg :lol:

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:20 am

I had heard from folks Down Under that the Rhythms were pretty difficult in temperament and tended to be very slow developing, a lot more so than had been expected given that Rhythm himself was a G1 winner at two. He has been an uneven sire and has gotten a low percentage of winners, but his best have been quite good. Of his four Group 1 winners, three were out of mares by sires from the Sir Ivor male line and the fourth dam was by a sire that had Sir Ivor as his broodmare sire -- food for thought.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi Meg,
I've seen Madraar, he is impressive in person. Gary Howard was very open about his racing record last year when they hosted the ctba tour. He said something like "they did everything they could think of to get him to win or run".
I saw a few of his yearlings today at Barrett's. Nice, tall, many with chrome and they went cheap, unfortunately.

Inthe951
2yo Maiden

Postby Inthe951 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info. Not too promising on either one.LOL

What California sires did you like on the tour? Any new ones spark your interest?
-Meg

George William Smith
Restricted Stakes Winner

Rhythm

Postby George William Smith » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:46 pm

His fee should be free to approved mares. Great family, great race record. Almost living proJapan crops a disaster, Almost guaranteed to make foals born from North American bred mares regardless of quality, claiming level runners. Living proof that you don't always get good stallions from stallions that seemingly have it all going for them prior to their foals being born and raced.

This stallion has eaten through the hopes of many breeders that used him and only a very few have proven to get anything good. That people will still keep trying to get gold from a sow's ear is par for the course with many breeders.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:45 am

ROAR - Is he still having fertility problems? I saw in the Blood-Horse that his managment is claiming that he is OK, but the farm switched alot of his mares last year to Storm Creek since they weren't getting in foal. This is second hand information so this is what I have heard and not what I know.

Also, any comments on the fact that his fee shot up? I understand he has gotten some good ones, but 15K?

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:05 am

Re Roar: There were fertility issues and the farm did have to switch some mares out. He did manage to get 51 mares in foal though so they are limiting his book to 50 this year. I understand that General Meeting is also being strictly limited--in contrast to the thread about FuPeg and Giant's Causeway elsewhere.

Also take a look at the leading sires lists for last year. He's listed nationally in almost every category--stakes winners, money, winners, even graded stakes winners although he had no Grade 1s. The South American Roars have been snapped up by the Sheikhs and they've been nominated for the Emirates series in Dubai in nearly every race including the big one. I'm not necessarily happy about the fee raise and I couldn't breed back to him because of it, but when you look at his record, $15,000 makes a certain sense under the circumstances.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

re: roar

Postby tbrace » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:56 am

re: Roar Nice horse in some ways, but even with some good runners, his sales are dismal. Also, almost all mares in foal last year were settled very early in the year. After March or so, almost nothing. I would be very careful breeding to him. Just one opinion.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:19 am

Roar will fit the mold in Calif, where he doesnt have the competition, that he had in KY. Thats why Roar is an up beat sire here. How many Ky. stallions that were culled out of their breeding program, have come to Calif. to make the impact that Roar has?
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio