Blumin Affair

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Blumin Affair

Postby adrienne » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:38 pm

I don't know if anyone else would be interested, but I was.

I went with my boss to pick up a horse at Roger's Ranch in Mead, NE. And got to see Blumin' Affair.

He was one of those horses I saw running on TV when I was a kid and I was happy to see him looking so well. I knew he was somewhere in Nebraska - but I didn't know where, so I was surprised when the owner of the farm pointed to him.

He has tons of bone like his sire, but I like his overall balance better than the pictures of his sire. Definately an asset to regional breeding in Iowa/Nebraska.

~Adrienne

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:15 pm

hi adrienne

I first saw Blumin Affair shortly after his retirement as a race horse...I remember him with lots of bone also.

He was a VERY good race horse and was one of the first runners to draw serious attention to his then yet-unheralded and young sire.

Blumin Affair was strong...good size...well-balanced and proportioned...and I suggest more similar in many respects (physically) to his grand-sire Roberto...than to his sire Dynaformer.

I expect he's had limited opportunity as a stallion...but I suggest he's worthy of consideration...especially in his region.

Respectfully

bjar
Newborn

Postby bjar » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:44 pm

Adrienne and Fos
I was personally happy to see this regional stud mentioned on this forum since I am sending my mare "Shining Galaxy" to him this Spring. I have been "lurking" on this forum and reading everthing there is for a long time about breeding a good racehorse. I am breeding strictly to race regionally (on that wall-mart budget) and after many, many hours of research Blumin Affair just seems to fit all the different criteria I have learned about on this forum and other sites when choosing a stud, ie, proven blacktype earnings, sire of sire family. genetic compatability, conformation, and etc. If any one else is interested on his stats they can be viewed at brisnet.com/cgi-bin/breviewrep.cgi?filename=1743931&dir=stallion. I would also like to personally thank the forum member llbean for his patience and help. This is a fantastic forum to those new to TB racing/breeding and on that forever learning curve. bjar

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:22 pm

For what it's worth, a very successful, knowledgable breeder in Oklahoma took several mares to Nebraska to breed to Blumin Affair. I don't know if any were good racehorses, or if he has continued to use him.
Rocking H

horsenuts
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby horsenuts » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:22 pm

He's had some useful runners nothing great but useful. He has some 3 year olds that may be worth watching. Von Hemel had one win 2-3 allowance races at LAD & RP last fall. The one BA I was around was a very well mannered/kind filly that was well built(stout and balanced)with very good bone. Remains to seen if she can run as she is only a 2 year old.

Hard saying how good of stallion he is or could be because of such limited breedings to better mares. I do know this there are stallions standing for much, much more that I would pass on in favor of BA. And his bone structure is mostly a plus in today's TB market.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:30 pm

hi bjar

Nice to hear from you...

...and best of luck with Shining Galaxy...and her (let's keep our fingers crossed) beautiful 2006 foal by Blumin Affair.

Respectfully

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:36 am

bjar - I agree with everyone that he appears to be something of an untapped resource. There are a lot of stallions with a $1,500 fee in Iowa/Nebraska, and none of them can boast the conformation, racing record, or even progeny performance.

That's wonderful that he matched well with your mare and I think you'll be very happy with him.

~Adrienne

JimP
Allowance Winner

Postby JimP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi guys,

Hey bjar where are you located in Kansas? It is nice to see a fellow Kansan on the list!!

:D :D :D
JimP - Kansan too!!

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 am

I've been seriously considering using Blumin Affair this year. Does anyone know about Rogers Ranch and their management practices?