Five Eighty Four (Miswaki son, standing in PA)

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

SymRanch
Maiden Special Weight

Five Eighty Four (Miswaki son, standing in PA)

Postby SymRanch » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:55 pm

We have recently acquired the Miswaki son, Five Eighty Four. Our intention is to breed him to some of my own mares, but I've started wondering whether he has some commericial viability.

I don't know of any other Miswaki sons standing in PA, and I've just noticed that Migwaki was the unanimous choice for 2004 Penn National Horse of the year. Since Migwaki's a gelding, maybe there is some untapped interest??

I'm very interested in the breeders awards available as a registered-PA stallion owner, and would like to attract some nice mare for PA breds.

Does anyone have advice on:
- do you think there is likely some interest in him in PA?
- where should I advertise to let people know he's "in town?"
- what type/bloodlines of mares are likely to produce nice nicks with him?
- how are contract best structured to encourage PA-breds foals will result?

any feedback is appreciated!

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:51 pm

In answer to your last question first, I received an incentive letter from Walmac Farm in KY advertising five of their less popular stallions at a 35% reduced stud fee if the mare owner agrees to register the resulting foal in a state-bred program. You might try such an advertising ploy to get people interested in your stallion for PA-bred status. Just a thought, especially since Miswaki was not an especially commercial sire.

My understanding also is that PA-bred status can be achieved for a foal born in PA, even though the sire is out of state. And the mare and foal don't have to stay long in PA or breed back to a PA stallion for the foal to be registered as a PA-bred. This is unusual, especially since the incentives are so lucrative in PA. Of course, "everybody and their dog" knows about PA, and will try to develop the best racehorses through breeding to the best sires they can afford, leaving the typical state stallion in a sub-optimal position.

You say you are located in TX, PA, and NY. If so, you might consider any of the three states for locating your stallion, as long as your mares are nearby. Check closely into the factors that would help make your choices easier, including breeder, owner, and stallion incentive rules, transportation availability and costs, per-diem costs of standing a stud at an established farm, leasing your stallion out, etc.
Rocking H

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:15 pm

My understanding is the foal has to be born in PA and stay there three months to qualify for the PABRED program.

I don't know if the mare MUST be bred back to a PA stallion or not but I would assume that the mare owners would preferr to get their mare back in foal and waiting three months to breed to an "other" state stallion would not be appealing to most.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

SymRanch
Maiden Special Weight

Postby SymRanch » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:43 pm

A couple details about the PA-bred program (from www.pabred.com):

"For PA-Breds sired by registered Pennsylvania stallions, the award (PA-sired breeder award) amounts to 30 percent of purse share earned. For those sired by out-of-state stallions, the award (non-PA-sired breeder award) is 20 percent."

"When a registered PA-Bred, by a registered Pennsylvania stallion, finishes first, second or third in any pari-mutuel race in the state, an amount equal to 10 percent of the purse share earned (stallion award) is paid to whomever owned the stallion at the time of conception."

This should help explain why I'd prefer to breed to registered PA stallions and why I'd like to attract some nice mares to my registerered PA stallion!

roving boy
Allowance Winner

five eighty four

Postby roving boy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Congratulations! He was a fantastic individual as a yearling and did show some tantalizing glimpses of serious ability on the racetrack. I wish you well with him.
Roving Boy

SymRanch
Maiden Special Weight

Postby SymRanch » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:52 pm

Thanks for your good wishes.

He's got a very easy-going personality, and is handling "sex ed" like a gentleman. He should be breeding his first mares in the next 2 weeks.

I would still love feedback on what pedigrees people think would (and wouldn't) cross well with him!