Sweetsouthernsaint

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

halo
Starters Handicap

Sweetsouthernsaint

Postby halo » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:09 pm

Comes up with another stakes winner with todays winner of the Turf Paradise Derby. That makes 5 stakes horses from his first 30 starters. Pretty good start for a $2500 stud fee. I have a yearling filly by him, and she is by far the best yearling I have. Big, scopy, lots of bone, and great attitude. Might be the next success story to come out of Florida.

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:08 pm

He is one of my favorites in Fl. I only have 4 or 5.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:55 am

Halo, do you have an opinion about Songandaprayer? I've noticed they have sold incredibly well for a $10,000 stallion so he must be throwing some good individuals.

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:46 am

I like him a lot, tho Im seeing a little of the Unbridled front legs on the foals. They can tend to be a little straight in front, and they are big. He certain has license to be a really nice stallion. Tremendous speed and the ability to go two turns is a great attribute I think. He certainly would have been on my short list, had he been about $7,000 cheaper.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:53 pm

hi guys

Sweetsouthernsaint is certainly showing signs...but I suggest that in order for a stallion to be taken as a potential serious force on a national stage...he's got to get the kind that can get it done against open company at major racing venues...and ultimately in stakes at those venues.

Sweetsouthernsaint may accomplish that...but for now I suggest he's a nice young regional sire that's doing some good things...and he's worth watching.

Regarding Songandaprayer...he himself is quite the tall...strong and imposing individual...but he is significantly over-at-the-knee and cannot stand still when being shown on the end of a lead-shank without his knees twitching...or buckling.

As a stallion..he seems to generally get a very good-sized horse (as he is) with plenty of leg...that stands over some ground and is generally well-proportioned...and strongly made. Horses with generally better front-ends than Songandaprayer himself has.

Based on what I've seen (and hear from others) many of his two-year-olds are training quite well...and I suggest that the "buzz" in general is quite positive.

He seems to be getting many that might be described as "the right kind"...that are generally making a good impression (as they train into the two-year-old sales and toward the races).

Respectfully

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:56 pm

hi guys

Sweetsouthernsaint is certainly showing signs...but I suggest that in order for a stallion to be taken as a potential serious force on a national stage...he's got to get the kind that can get it done against open company at premier racing venues...and ultimately in stakes at those venues.

Sweetsouthernsaint may accomplish that...but for now I suggest he's a nice young regional sire that's doing some good things at lesser venues...and he's worth watching.

Regarding Songandaprayer...he himself is quite the tall...strong and imposing individual...but he is significantly over-at-the-knee and cannot stand still when being shown on the end of a lead-shank without his knees twitching...or buckling.

As a stallion..he seems to generally get a very good-sized horse (as he is) with plenty of leg...that stands over some ground and is generally well-proportioned...and strongly made. Horses with generally better front-ends than Songandaprayer himself has.

Based on what I've seen (and hear from others) many of his two-year-olds are training quite well...and I suggest that the "buzz" in general is quite positive.

He seems to be getting many that might be described as "the right kind"...that are generally making a good impression (as they train into the two-year-old sales and toward the races).

Respectfully

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:30 pm

I think Sweetsouthernsaint may be showing what is to come of St Ballado sons. I posted in a previous post about his sons, that the ones that showed something at 2 are producing already. Sweetsouthernsaint is a perfect example. So Im not giving up on Straight Man just yet. Flame Thrower ran excellent as a two year old. But as some people have said his bottom side is weak. But they say his babies look the part. FOS, if you had to choose between SSS and Flame Thrower, which would you choose?

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:30 pm

hi Derby2004

Without going into a pedigree analysis of each...and comparing their race records and their physical strengths and weaknesses etc etc etc...

...I submit that the Flame Throwers that I've seen are (in general) a more appealing...athletic and racy-type (as far as I'm concerned) than the Sweetsouthernsaints that I've seen.

Obviously Flame Thrower's first crop will race this year (2005)...whereas Sweetsouthernsaint has three-year-olds...and a couple of nice ones at that...but I still find Flame Thrower the potentially more exciting young stallion (at least based on what I've seen).

Who knows for sure exactly how each of these two sons of Saint Ballado will fare in the long run...but right now if I had one mare...and I had to choose to breed her to either Sweetsouthernsaint or Flame Thrower...

...I'd select Flame Thrower...if I could negotiate a stud fee reduction in him. He's on the bubble and arguably not particularly good value (at least right now) at $6,500 live (as advertised)...but his yearlings and two-year-olds are "sharp" looking...and look like they could be early and fast.

If Sweetsouthernsaint had a front page...brilliant...graded stakes-winner on the dirt at a premier track...I'd probably have to go with Sweetsouthernsaint.

Today though...FT if the price is right.

Respectfully

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:09 am

I have a negotiated price on Flame for 4k.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:53 am

hi Derby2004

Good work.

Success in your thoroughbred endeavors.

Respectfully