Grand Chaudiere - son of Northern Dancer

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

saintlyCZ
Maiden Special Weight

Grand Chaudiere - son of Northern Dancer

Postby saintlyCZ » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:57 pm

3rd in Gimcrack Stakes and Richmond Stakes. I have some australian-bred horses by him in my database. How good stallion he was? I don't need any exact info, just some comments about class of his progeny... Thanks!
Avatar: This wonderful horse is my big love: Czech-bred horse Heretic, son of fantastic sire Rainbows for Life out of great dam Hairy Dream.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:52 am

Checked his data base progeny, nothing to be found. Maybe one of the down under board members can give you a site in AUS to help find Grand Chaudiere class of runners.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:45 pm

Grand Chaudiere stood in Queensland from 1972 to 1992. In that period he served 1,127 mares for 725 live foals.

I'm not sure how much his stud fee was but I would have to assume it was not very high and hence he did not attract very good mares.

He did manage to sire one Group 1 winner of the 1977 George Ryder Stakes (WFA 1600m or should I say 1m :) ) being Pacific Ruler. He also sired eight other black type winners but most of them were at the lower end of the stakes scale.

I don't have any stats on overall runners to winners etc but from memory he had a few "bread and butter" runners over the years. Not quite good enough to claim the black type races but still handy enough to win a few Metropolitan races and a stack of Provinicial and Country races.

I was a bit surprised that only 13 broodmare daughers are listed in the Australian Stud Book. Only one, Lady Lauren, has produced a recent Listed stakes in Show Biz Kid (by Sequalo).

Hope this helps.

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:26 pm

No wonder I was surprised at the small number of mares listed in the Stud Book. That was certainly not the case as it appears that the earlier ones either dropped off the list or never made it onto the list in the early days of the computerised database. I suspect the latter.

Easy Date, even though only a modest winner over 900m (less than 5 furongs :) ), produced 16 named foals, 15 to race and 11 winners including the outstanding sire Snippets. Her daugthers are also doing very well as broodmares. And Snippets himself may have a more than handy young sire in Pins who is standing in New Zealand.

saintlyCZ
Maiden Special Weight

Postby saintlyCZ » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:54 pm

flight: great info, thank you very much!!! Pacific Ruler is one of my database horses, so it's great to know who he was! Dam of Snippets is there too, I was wondering whether it's "that" Snippets...
JUst one more question: what about horses Beelbanghera, Dancing Boy, Grand And Happy, Grand Dreams, Grand Series, Greed, Lord Diere, Pacific Prince, Prince MOnarch (the last two are fb and 3/4 brother to Pacific Ruler), Spirit of Dalby and Think a Lot?
Do you know any of them? They are all horses by Grand Chauderie I have in database. Please if you know any of them, let me know... and if not, doesn't matter, you did a great job, thank you once more! :D
saintly
Avatar: This wonderful horse is my big love: Czech-bred horse Heretic, son of fantastic sire Rainbows for Life out of great dam Hairy Dream.

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 am

Hi Saintly

I don't really remember a lot of them given that most were racing about 20 years ago! Can't remember everything! A lot of them were raced in Queensland and the ones not up to city class were not heard of outside their area back them. Things have changed a lot now that we have a racing channel.

Beelbangera was a very handy performer in Sydney however he won his Group 3 in Western Australia. 28 starts 6 wins.

Dancing Boy is an obscure one as he raced in Northern Queensland and only managed two wins @ 2 from 16 starts.

Prince Monarch raced 52 times for 4 wins. Pacific Prince did a lot better winning the now Group 2 Doomben Stakes in Brisbane.

Grand Dreams was not very well named. 8 starts for 5 2nd placings.

Grand And Happy went better winning 4 of 11.

Grand Series must have been a tough one winning 18 times out of 53 starts. A lot in the City.

Spirit of Dalby only won twice in 16 starts - once at 2 and once at 3

Pacific Ruler was no doubt his best performer winning 12 of 41. His dam, Group 1 winner Eye Liner, has a stakes race named after her in Queensland so maybe Grand Chaudiere did get some good mares. :)

Daldiere, Lord Diere, Matternot and Sugar I Think all won listed races.

Let's Cheer and Prince Lonely won what is described as Group 5 races in Northern Queensland which I interpret as a Quality ie one class below Listed.

Hope this helps and I'll keep an eye open in the Yearling catalogues to see if any more of his broodmares have gone well.

saintlyCZ
Maiden Special Weight

Postby saintlyCZ » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:51 pm

Flight: wonderful, can't thank you enough!!! :D

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Re: Grand Chaudiere - son of Northern Dancer

Postby Bettina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:34 am

Hello,
it's a very old topic; I'm bringing up again.

Grand Chaudiere is now dam sire of the Top Australian Sire Snippets. "Lachine" is meanwhile ancestress of New Approach, Was, Shinko Forest, Dazzling Park and in Germany she had Waky Nao (Sire).

regards, Bettina