Unbridled's Song sons at stud

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jeff9061
Yearling

Unbridled's Song sons at stud

Postby jeff9061 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 pm

The fact that not many of them have hung a long lists of starts together is well documented. Whether unsound or simply worth more at stud, any thoughts about his pool of relatively young studs? Rockport Harbor just hitting the track, Political Force just hitting the sales ring, First Defense, Dunkirk, Old Fashioned?

For those that have, or have seen, some offspring from those that have a few on the ground -- what can you tell? Where do you see stud fees going?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 am

Every time someone brings up UBS, the perceived unsoundness of his offspring is discussed ad nauseum. If you would like to see your "well documented" first sentence refuted, simply do a search on his name.

More interesting to me is the fact that so many UBS sons have had a chance at stud and so far none have managed to really succeed in a big way. Of those you've mentioned, I find First Defense to be the most compelling. With his superior family and the Juddmont mares behind him, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the son of UBS who gets the job done at stud.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Postby fastappy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:08 am

Well his most successful son at stud to date would be Songandaprayer, who appears to be an outstanding looking individual (did not see in person), however with 541 foals of RA is still at 3% stakes horses, a AEI of 1.32 vs CI 1.82, and his fee has slid considerably.

His foals (SAP) sell well, and that is really the crux of the UBS appeal. He throws big good looking, well conformed stallion prospects which thus far have been overall disappointing. I was very tempted to breed to Dunkirk from a breed to sale standpoint, but elected to go with a 2nd crop (proven) sire.

There are still many sons of UBS who may yet prove themselves as very good sires of race horses, as well as sales horses but for now they're MIA.
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:35 pm

I think Old Fashioned may buck this trend, one to keep an eye on imho.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm really liking this one by a son of Unbridled's Song.

He's by Even The Score (sire of G.1 winner Take The Points) and he's out of the Smart Strike mare Mining My Own (dam of KY Derby winner Mine That Bird).

He sold for $250K at Keeneland to the Paddy O' Prado connections.

Don't think he'll be that precocious, or a fast sprinter, and he may wind up liking grass more than dirt, but he's a looker who'll have every chance to become a good one.

And I also predict he's going to be extremely sound (his sire ran 29 times at 3,4,5, and 6). He's going to be a big colt, but he's got the bone to support that size, and he's got smart connections who aren't going to try and win the BC Juvenile with him whether he's ready for it or not.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Postby fastappy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:52 pm

When you run sons of UBS on Bloodhorse you get 59 hits! :o
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:59 am

Domestic Dispute has been pretty much a bust, even though he was bred to some fairly sizable books of mares at Northview in Maryland.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:12 am

Bohemia wrote:Domestic Dispute has been pretty much a bust, even though he was bred to some fairly sizable books of mares at Northview in Maryland.

A Domestic Dispute is never pretty........... :oops:

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Check this one: EVEN THE SCORE http://www.pedigreequery.com/even+the+score

But I am under the impression that SONGANDAPRAYER is running well ahead at this moment. Seems to me that he will be to Unbridled's Song what the "D'ors" are to El Prado.

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I am really fond of Even the Score myself. In fact, I looked into to breeding to him last year. Before final booking, to their credit, the gentleman I spoke with at Millennium was very forthright and let me know that he "doesn't like them all". I'd heard some of the same from others, looked into it and saw he was only around 62% on 80 mares bred. Plus, I got second thoughts about a low ceiling (Take the Points was still in the process of showing us what he was), and ended up going another direction.

(For the record, I made a bad choice and ended up in a worst spot than if I'd have just went with ETS and took my chances. Got taught a valuable lesson, we'll leave it at that.)

So, I'm still a little nervous about ETS (although very bullish about Millennium and how up front and transparent they were), as I don't have a long string of mares -- leaving one open means something different than it may to others.

As for Songandaprayer, I don't know. He's proven, to a degree anyway, which is more than most his paternal half brothers can say today. But he just doesn't look as nice on the bottom to my mare. Of course, when you're operating in this price range, you got to get over some of this stuff, especially when he's shown us what he is already. He's a solid option.

And there's no preconceived notion that we have to breed this direction. Just an interesting route to break down given the sire line, pedigrees and sporadic shooting stars that seem to launch from this base.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't know why but I am under the impression that the best son of Unbridleds Song at stud is yet to be born. Perhaps it will come from a very different bottom half aside from what we have seen, or perhaps a super mega star coming from the Storm Cats or Storm Birds.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:28 am

Hold Your Peace wrote:I'm really liking this one by a son of Unbridled's Song.

He's by Even The Score (sire of G.1 winner Take The Points) and he's out of the Smart Strike mare Mining My Own (dam of KY Derby winner Mine That Bird).

He sold for $250K at Keeneland to the Paddy O' Prado connections.

Don't think he'll be that precocious, or a fast sprinter, and he may wind up liking grass more than dirt, but he's a looker who'll have every chance to become a good one.

And I also predict he's going to be extremely sound (his sire ran 29 times at 3,4,5, and 6). He's going to be a big colt, but he's got the bone to support that size, and he's got smart connections who aren't going to try and win the BC Juvenile with him whether he's ready for it or not.

As you can maybe tell, I'm catching up on threads in the Stallions subforum, and while looking through this one, this post in particular made me laugh. Yeah, I'd say we got a heads up on Dullahan 2 years before he became anything. Nice work.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby oliverstoned » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 pm

.....and the coolest part, no see see I told you so chest thumping from Hold Your Peace (one of my favorite posters).

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Jorge wrote:Check this one: EVEN THE SCORE http://www.pedigreequery.com/even+the+score

But I am under the impression that SONGANDAPRAYER is running well ahead at this moment. Seems to me that he will be to Unbridled's Song what the "D'ors" are to El Prado.

Wow that quote was back then in 2010.
Yes now EVEN THE SCORE looks extremely good.
Of course I will add SONGANDAPRAYER
along with DUNKIRK.

Back then, I thought that Unbridled's Song's best son was
yet to be born, now I think he needs further patronage
to achieve it. Unless he gets a good son with many starts under his belt soon I think his best years are about to pass during the next couple of years. So seems like we will have to rely on the aforementioned.

foxtale
Maiden Special Weight

Postby foxtale » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Photo of Dullahan was taken at Elloree Training Center in Elloree SC!