Invasor [ARG]

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Haven't been able to see the race but talked to Ivan, Vader came in 4th. Thought he should have finished 2nd. Said he got blocked in between two horses (and he doesn't like that). My friend's horse won - Potential Argument. Ivan said he wasn't worried so I'm not! Vader came out fine. Ivan said he was really excited for me to see him, said he had grown a ton and really filled out. Said he was really nice this year and had grown up!
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:34 am

Five Sixteen put in a hell of a run yesterday against a potential star. Curatolo likely cost him second but if you watch the gallop out you'll get the impression that this horse can go much longer...

I am not an Invasor fan , but this is a nice horse.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Five Sixteen

Postby Brigitte » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Maidenwatch is warming up to Five Sixteen and is now thinking Belmont:
"Five Sixteen did some rallying of his own, to miss second by just a head to Quorum. I wouldn't be surprised to find Triple Crown nominee Street Life on some Derby lists after this run. And how about Five Sixteen as an early Belmont Stakes pick?"

In his previous race Five Sixteen just missed by a neck at 1 1/8 - he hit the front, started falling back when passed before the mile, then came on again. Michael on this blog wondered about the Belmont. I'm optimistic that he'll score in a route soon because he's improving and getting into closing. He ran a good mile here and finished with "good energy".

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Expression is entered in a 6f optional claimer at Aqueduct on Feb 17 on the inner track for a purse of $51,000.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/AQU021712USA-EQB.html#RACE8

Invasor Beauty is entered in an MSW at Fair Grounds on Feb 17 at 1 mile and 70 yds for a purse of $46,000.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/AQU021712USA-EQB.html#RACE8

Clh: thanks for the inside story about Vader. Hope you get to see him soon - and take pictures of him.

Richard Dutrow claimed Photon. Anthony Dutrow, his elder (non controversial) brother, trains Holy Invader.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Red Flair may return Feb 18 at Laurel in a 10K mcl at 1 1/16 miles - he's a dual entry for the trainer, both horses have the same jockey. Last time the other horse, Surprise Buddy, was scratched.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/LR ... html#RACE9

This group of horses has been beating up on each other awhile. The only exit is through the winner's circle.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Expression wins again!

Postby Brigitte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Expression is the first Invasor to win twice. She was involved in a bumping incident at the start and "coaxed along and allowed to settle into stride" - in last place by 4 lengths. She stayed last until late in the turn, passed only one horse into the stretch, made little progress at first, then closed in unison with the runner up and beat that one by a neck. Cornelio Velasquez gave her a nice ride. She was discouraged but then her competitive instinct kicked in - daddy's girl! She earned $30,600.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/AQU021712USA8.pdf

Invasor Beauty finished 6th - she was 3 wide, got up to 3d at the half but dropped back when also 3 wide on the second turn and lacked a response thereafter.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/FG021712USA2.pdf

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Red Flair was 7th. He broke from the 9 hole, chased the pace while 3 wide on both turns and gave way in the upper stretch.

Kiha is back on the work tab - nothing physically wrong with her. I wondered because she was so consistent. Moving up in class she might do worse but falling so far back right at the start when the fractions weren't faster? Maybe they figured the race pattern would be faster then slower and settled her early leaving her too much to do when the race pattern tuned out to be slower then faster? Or maybe horses don't compete if they're taken out of their game for some reason?

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Azure HIlls returns for her second race an mcl at Fair Grounds at a mile on turf (she's in for $25,000). The purse is $27,000.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/FG022412USA-EQB.html#RACE1

Vader in another 6 f sprint Feb 22. Clh will give us the inside story but I couldn't resist looking at the entries. Sofa Man caught my eye - is there a stallion called Lazy Boy? No, he's by Candy Ride. Must be a story there. The 2 Ribs are by Alladin Rib and so is Alladin's Cloud, who will be running his 76th race...

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/BEU022212USA-EQB.html#RACE3

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 am

He is running again and I wanted to find out why he's back in at 6f but I deep down I know why - they aren't writing anything longer :(. Still isn't his cup of tea but we'll see how he does. Interesting enough a friend of ours raised Buckeye Slew whose running in the race with him ;).

Brigitte - thought you might be interested to know that Invasor has a half coming up in the 2 year old sale in Florida. His dam Quendom (ARG) has a Street Cry colt (Hip 80) selling in that sale. He's a KY foal. Will be interesting to see what that boy brings and to see what his works are.

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 pm

A good trip to Vader!

Quendom x Street Cry? His best have been just great: Street Sense, Zenyatta. Most develop fast enough to be in the TC. I hope the colt got that from his sire together with what Quendom passed to Invasor...

Princess Kiha is back earning her oats. She runs on Feb 25 at GG in a one mile $12,500 claimer on the AW. Hope she returns to form and gets another shot at the fillies in her last race - she'd already finished ahead of some of them before winning the first time.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/GG022512USA-EQB.html#RACE3

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Midnight Vader has won his second race! I am thrilled and Ivan is proud of "his" boy! I am, to be honest, surprised he won at 6f but he was the favorite and they announcers mentioned he would be a more heavily favorite if it was raining and a sloppy track :lol: . He just edged by to get the win but we'll take it! Came out of the race with no problems. Now however, he will have to up his game because he will have to run against the older guys (3 and up) in non winners of 3 instead of the NW2 ;).

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Great news about Vader! The frontrunner ran fast the first quarter then slowed the field way down on the lead - a recipe for winning but Vader got him anyway. Bravo!

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Azure Hills was 9th, next to last, in her second race after being next to last in her debut.

Hunting for good news in the chart she broke 3d instead of 4th, and got up to 2nd instead of 3d before running out of steam on the far turn. The 3/4 times were within 0.01 sec but she was 5th by 3 instead of 8th by 12.5 and she ended up 9th by 10 instead of 7th by 15. The kid made some progress. Hey, if she does that much better next time she gets up to 1st and ends up losing by 5. That would put her in contention.

Clh, in the replay Vader duked it out with Sofa Man forever then, suddenly, put his head in front. The chart said he was "all out to win" but I got the weird impression that he was enjoying the duel. No evidence for that, but if true he can up his game easier than you'd expect.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Princess Kiha was 4th, 5 1/2 lengths behind the winner. She saved ground but failed to rally. She's started up the hill to beating NW2 fillies at this level.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/GG022512USA3.pdf

When Kiha destroyed the field in her maiden win I thought she'd reinvented herself on the Tapeta. But maybe she picked up the pieces after a speed duel. The early fractions of that mcl were faster than those of Kiha's starter allowance and this race was slower still. Live and learn.

Brigitte
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Brigitte » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Raconteur, the horse that just beat Five Sixteen by a neck at 1 1/8, won his next and is running in the $400,000 Gotham G3 this weekend.