Lets buy Musketier(Ger) for stallion duty

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Lets buy Musketier(Ger) for stallion duty

Postby oliverstoned » Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am

Son of Acatenango, Graded winner in France at two, Multiple Graded SW in the US with earnings of $771,430 to date. Not ready to retire just yet as he's having a nice year as a nine year old. Any like minded out there that would like to cobble together a lil sydnicate?

link to his photo:

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/ThoroughbredZone/DSCF6413-1.jpg

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue May 17, 2011 9:27 am

intriguing idea.... what type of mares would you send him? I think he needs some speed infused.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 am

Very intriguing, I love those German breds.

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby oliverstoned » Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 am

I was thinking perhaps speedy miler types with a mix of dirt and turfy mares.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 am

I always thought Lanciano would be an interesting horse. He's a Group 2 German-bred son of six-time champion German sire Surumu and from one of Germany's best female families who happens to be responsible for one of their major sire lines.

He's being used as a Warmblood stallion since there's no racing market in North America for horses like this.

http://www.canadianwarmbloods.com/stalliondetail.php?horseid=1000132

http://www.pedigreequery.com/lanciano

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Tue May 17, 2011 11:18 am

Handsome fellow. 8)

Looks like he last worked on the 12th at Keeneland.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Wed May 18, 2011 6:28 am

Actually, ASB, he is available to TB's as well. He is advertised in the Western Canada stallion directory which can be linked to through I think CTHSBC.org. I have a 3 yo gelding, a 2yo filly, and a yearling gelding by him. I also sent 2 mares to him again this year. The problem for Lanciano is that he is in Alberta which makes it very difficult for most mare owners to actually be aware of him. Warmbloods allow AI so he is advertised more globally in that market.
Last edited by Dave C on Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu May 19, 2011 10:43 am

since Lanciano is near Calgary, I went to www.assiniboiadowns.com to see some of the nearby mares running in claiming races. I have a modest proposal of finding local mares to breed for racing - not commercial purposes.

Shocking amount of quality in these claimers! Check out these fillies running for $3,500:

Alot like Mom, by Johannesburg out of Midday Runner by Real Quiet. 2nd dam produced Ten Most Wanted. 3rd dam produced Cutlass Reality.

Zazamora, by Salt Lake out of Miss Sophisticate by Souvenir Copy. Family of Doneraile Court. 2nd dam by El Gran Senor.

Quatres Dames, by Even the Score out of Four Girls by Foxhound. At first glance she is lesser-bred than the top two, but her 2nd dam did produce a grade 3 runner. She is my least favorite of this trio, however.

A higher claiming price of $5,000 yields:

Yan Yan, by Grand Slam out of Wekiva Spring's 1/2 sister, Twenty One A. C. by Deputy Minister. This mare produced a hard knocking stakes placed runner by Storm Cat, and again, is from the family of Wekiva Springs.

Sunday Victory, by Compadre out of Classic Dram by Whiskey Wisdom. Compadre is an El Gran Senor from a German female line with French influences. Classic Dram is herself 1/2 sister to Sheer Enchantment, a good stakes filly in Canada. 3rd dam has a Group 1 winner in Argentina.

Exhilarated, by Hard Buck (BRZ) out of Copper Spirits by Copper Man has that intriguing millionaire Brazilian sire, Hard Buck, by Spend a Buck. Fairly modest female line, though.

$7,500 claimers include:
Green Meadows, by Olmodavor out of Green Boulevard, by Green Forest. A much turfier pedigree, 2nd dam is Group 1 placed in France and produced Italian champion 3 year old El Cuite and Tres Agreable, who produced hwt at 3 Michelozzo.

Royal Sofisticate, by Chapel Royal out of Savagery by Olympio. Modest female family, but I like the speed influences of the sires in this pedigree.

Antivenom, by Stormin Fever out of Rare Gold by Seeking the Gold. Family of Doneraile Court, Souvenir Copy and a lot of black type in the 3rd dam. 2nd dam is stakes placed.

Dance the Dance, by Roman Dancer out of stakes winning Ivy Lane, by Devil on Ice. 2nd dam's 1/2 sister produced multiple Group 1 winner Hot Six in Brazil. Family of Bitty Girl, champion 2 year old in England.

THOUGHTS?

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu May 19, 2011 11:34 am

couldn't resist.... four more mares to mention:

Joyous Event, by Aldebaran out of Joyous Chaos. Full sister is stakes placed. Actually, Joyous Event's 1/2 sister also has two stakes placed foals by Aldebaran. 2nd dam is G1 Plenty of Grace, half to champion grass mare Soaring Softly. Yikes!

Showboater, by Gilded Time out of Show Special by Smarten. 1st dam is nice Canadian turf stakes horse. Family of G1 Niniski and Grand Vitesse, champion older horse in ARgentina.

Mudder of Pearl, by Mud Route ouit of Pearlescent by Clever Trick. Pearlescent is 1/2 to dam of G1 Flashy Bull. Family of Perfect Soul (IRE), champion grass horse in Canada.

Puttinonairs, by Broken Vow out of Albizzia, by Deputy Minister. First two dams are lightly bred with little production, but 3rd dam is 1/2 to Swain, champion older horse in England and this is the great female family of champion Square Angel and Canadian broodmare of the year Kamar.

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 am

Assiniboia Downs is almost half way to Kentucky from Calgary, about a 12 hour drive. For more local mares, you would have to look at the mares running at Northlands Park or Lethbridge, both about 3 hours from where Lanciano stands.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

damn it... so much for googlemaps!

So embarrassed, and such a waste of time. What nice mares, though!

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu May 19, 2011 11:56 am

and regardless, I think that Joyous Event with her great family connections, is probably a steal at the $5,000 claiming price.

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Thu May 19, 2011 12:02 pm

No need to be embarrassed and not necessarily a waste of time. Western Canada is a large sparsely populated place and easy for people who aren't here to get confused about where everything is. Not necessarily a waste of time because during the racing season there is almost always making the trip, so you can find a ride quite easily for not that much money.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 am

http://www.pedigreequery.com/musketier2

Intriguing presence of two closely positioned black Thoroughbred
among his ancestors. Hmmm, this angle may be of some interest to the readers from The Color Corner section of this site.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 am

I love the influence of Acatenango, speed and thoughness, this is great!
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.