Holy Bull has been pensioned

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Holy Bull has been pensioned

Postby ElPrado » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 pm

He's been getting up there in age.
Enjoy the retirement, big boy. You deserve it.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:33 am

That pretty much leaves the survival of the Plaudit male line to Macho Uno and his sons (any maybe Flashy Bull), so it's nice to see Mucho Macho Man really coming on; he might get a chance to extend this old American line for another generation.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Postby fastappy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48 am

We're fortunate to have Giacomo here in Cali. I believe he will produce some top horses, crossed on the speedy Cali mares.
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 am

I saw him earlier this year and he looks in great condition. However, he has rear-end problems which made it difficult for him to mount a mare. Apparently he took a turn for the worse during this breeding season which precipitated Darley's decision to retire him.

I happened to be at Belmont Park the day he won the won the Futurity over the heavily favored DEHERE. It was pouring rain that day and Holy Bull danced through it like a flying fish. What a graceful mover and athletically built horse he was! Can't believe it was 19 years ago---ugh.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 am

I saw him earlier this year and he looks in great condition. However, he has rear-end problems which made it difficult for him to mount a mare. Apparently he took a turn for the worse during this breeding season which precipitated Darley's decision to retire him.

I happened to be at Belmont Park the day he won the won the Futurity over the heavily favored DEHERE. It was pouring rain that day and Holy Bull danced through it like a flying fish. What a graceful mover and athletically built horse he was! Can't believe it was 19 years ago---ugh.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:31 am

Seems to me like he still has the breeding "fame-to-deduct-from" to produce one or two additional top-notch runners during the next two years
in order to increase his breeding legacy. Albeit, Mucho Macho Man looks like the kind of horse who can well-represent his sire.

I am afraid (and I really hope I am wrong) that's not the case with another very famous highly regarded gray sire coming from the same era.

As for the Holy Bull lineage, alas people really really began to turn to him
after they realize that Giacomo was coming from him. In fact when Giacomo won the Derby, in my opinion, Holy Bull was not necessarily receiving the kind of super mare patronage he later received.

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

checkout blog in today's Bloodhorse.com

Postby Affirmed1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 am

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:46 pm

More on the next generation of sires by Holy Bull

CITY OF WESTON (grey c 2010)
http://www.pedigreequery.com/city+of+weston2

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:21 pm

GIACALLURE (grey c 2011) http://www.pedigreequery.com/giacallure

This horse is a grandson of two of the most scintillating front-running speedster of the second half of the 20th century: Holly Bull and Lure.

This combo of grandsires is very rare to come across.
Wish him the best... only time will tell.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 am

Hi Jorge,

Interesting cross, but I wonder, why did he only race three times?
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:40 pm

erins isle wrote:Hi Jorge,

Interesting cross, but I wonder, why did he only race three times?

Me too!

Thanks for posting your thoughts. These are the kind of crosses that makes one wish if another repetition of that mating is possible.

Wow, so much was expected from Lure and so much was expected from Holy Bull. Fortunately, Holy Bull managed to sire Giacomo, who helped breeders reconsider giving him new breeding opportunities with new more creative matches. Regarding Lure, well, it seems like a real mystery to many people; even in spite of the appearance of Orpen.

Would like to read your opinions and analysis on this cross.