The Phoenix (1940)

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

erins isle
Grade III Winner

The Phoenix (1940)

Postby erins isle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:41 am

Can anybody here help me out? I have been searching for a few days now. I would like to know where he was born and who his breeder is.

In front of me are two (Dutch) studbooks, in the first he was born in Ireland, bred by the Aga Khan, in the other one he was bred by by a mrs. Wellesley in England, which is right?

Thanks very much in advance.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 am

According to equineline, he was bred in GB by Mrs. H.G. Wellesley.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:34 am

Thanks very much!
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

HJ
Weanling

Re: The Phoenix (1940)

Postby HJ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 am

You may have the information but if not here are some details of The Phoenix.

He was a very smart horse and under appreciated.

6 lifetime starts for 5 wins and a 2nd

At 2 yrs - 3 starts, 3 wins over 1000m
At 3 years - 3 starts, 2 wins (Won Irish 2000 Guineas, Irish Derby and 2nd Irish St Leger )

His grand sire Chateaux Bouscat won the French Derby and French Gold Cup.

At stud The Phoenix sired Double Rose who ran second in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe and Pent House. Pent House went to South Africa where he became champion sire, his son Home Guard won his first 11 starts in succession before going in the wind and had to have a hobday operation. Though never the same again he won another three races including the Summer Handicap GR1. Home Guard was one of the most imposing individuals one could wish to see, he had size and a physique that one rarely sees anymore. Home Guard was a year younger than Hawaii and considered a superior racehorse, they never raced against each other as Hawaii was exported to the USA where he became Champion Grass Horse and became a successful sire at Claiborne Stud.

Venusian
Yearling

Postby Venusian » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:53 pm

He was a cracking sire, though never particularly fashionable, and did even better as a broodmare sire.

He got a fair number of fast horses like Victorina, but his last top flight performer was the top class stayer, Prince Hansel (owned by the Magniers).

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:41 pm

I have a little more on The Phoenix from The Irish Derby 1866-1979 (Williams & Hyland). Campaigned by owner-trainer Fred Myerscough, who purchased him for 290 guineas as a yearling, he was considered the best of his generation in Ireland at both 2 and 3 despite a shocking loss to Solferino in the Irish St. Leger. He was bred by Mrs. H. G. Wellesley at the Killarkin Stud near Dunboyne, County Meath, Ireland. He retired to Ballykisteen Stud and was particularly noted as a sire of juvenile winners, though he got some good middle-distance runners as well. He was syndicated for a then-record 160,000 guineas in 1949 and died at Ballykisteen in 1960.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 am

There is a very fine pedigreed son of Tapit
named DIVINE ENERGY whose 5th broodmare sire
is The Phoenix. Seems to me that their top notch
connections are expecting great things from him.

Take a look at his pedigree at: http://www.pedigreequery.com/divine+energy