2015 Stallions

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jeff9061
Yearling

2015 Stallions

Postby jeff9061 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Any early thoughts for who we should have our eyes on?

A few already joining rosters, but who's your favorite prospect you think will stand for the first time in 2015, and your favorite under the radar prospect?

Who will be hot with their first weanlings in 2016?

And where do you put their fees?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Re: 2015 Stallions

Postby Cree » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 am

Off the top of my head...

Mucho Macho Man and Goldencents. Very different horses. I can't imagine MMM will have early runners, but I think he will be properly managed at Adena and have some good older runners. I'm looking forward to Goldencents- I think he is phenomenal - tough and fast.

Shakin It Up also just retired. He was lightly raced (aren't they all?), and I thought we'd see him win some more big races, but it wasn't meant to be.

Pletcher had Corfu retire this year, not sure if he bred any mares.

I am sure we will see some of the top 3-year-olds retired at the end of the year.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:10 am

Strong Mandate. Have they said where he will stand? Nice colt at 2, kind of just went off the rails with his career, retired with knee chips. Nice pedigree on him.

1/2 brother to Newfoundland and Full Mandate, who was a useful sire (sired Ron the Greek). Both of these two were exported (Chile and Saudi Arabia respectably), so who knows what the future holds for Strong Mandate. I feel like there may be better Tiznow's to go to.

jeff9061
Yearling

Postby jeff9061 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:46 am

What about Honor Code, with his breeding? Where is he?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Snatch up the last few stakes winning sons of Pulpit (sire of sires) while you can!!!

Last year's Southwest Stakes (G3) winner, Super Ninety Nine, has been retired to Country Life Farm, for a fee of $5,000. He is by Pulpit, out of Exogenetic (by Unbridled's Song), making her a 3/4 sister to the ill-fated G1 SW, Exogenous.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... e-for-2015

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Now Flashback is retired to Hill N Dale. I guess that race the other day in the Ack Ack was the end for this once highly regarded horse.

We aren't getting very picky these days - 7 starts, 2 wins, started racing in Dec of 2-year-old season, raced 4 times, then took 7 months off, raced twice, then was off for 9 months and made his last start. Oh, right, he's by Tapit.

http://www.drf.com/news/flashback-retired-hill-n-dale

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Palace Malice will get a lot of attention. Interesting pedigree....Curlin is out of a Deputy Minister mare (good cross for Smart Strike) and PM's female family is similar to English Channel (Theatrical and In Reality).

Real Solution, if he's priced right, will get a lot of the mares that want Kitten's Joy but can't afford him. I like him much better than Big Blue Kitten....better breeding, kind of tightly linebred but still open to a lot of mares.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:20 am

Has anyone been out to see Verrazano? Normally I get down there to look at all the newbies but don't think I'll get time to see the ones that weren't there in November. Any conformation comments etc? Pictures would be awesome!

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:47 am

Or any thoughts on Noble Mission? Full brother to Frankel but will non-US race record hurt his offspring in the sales ring?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Noble Mission is beautifully bred and well-performed and he's up against it as a stallion in the US. It's not his race record that would hurt him, either. It's the fact that his performance and his breeding do not match the North American racing environment.

In many ways he looks to me to be North Light (IRE), round 2....right down to the fact that his dam is a genetic sibling to North Light (by Danehill out of a Rainbow Quest mare. Noble Mission's stakes wins are all at 10f or more, and his only win at shorter than 10f was his maiden at a mile. His half-brother Bullet Train's lone stakes win was at 11.5f. Going back a generation, there are the stakes winners Powerscourt (with stakes wins at 10f to 12f), Last Train (15.5f) and Riposte (11f to 12f, by the major speed sire Dansili). Frankel had the speed to win at 7f as a juvenile, but after that, his best wins were going longer. Only the filly Joyeuse, who is by the speed sire Oasis Dream and is linebred 3x3 to Danzig, has run and won at the sprint distances most common on the continent. And she never got pasted listed class. Even Bullet Train won in group company.

I think Danehill injected some speed into Kind, which is good for North American racing, but at the same time Danehill has been a total non-starter in North America. It's stunning to think that the most dominant stallion on two continents has almost no influence in North America. The only farm that has tried standing a son of Danehill has been Adena (who are not afraid of standing stallions with unusual bloodlines) and look how well that worked for them. Not working much better with Silent Name, who is out of a Danehill mare.

By comparison, the best turf stallion currently standing in Kentucky had the speed to win in graded stakes company at a mile as well as the class to win at 10f and 12f. His dam has produced winners from 7f to 12f, including the dam of a champion juvenile. His sire has produced good-quality runners on both turf and dirt, including two elite stallions one of whom has a bundle of good dirt performers. His foals have won top-quality races at every distance from 6f to 12f, and despite most of them running on grass, there are some good dirt stakes performers here and there. The other difference between Kitten's Joy and Noble Mission....I don't see Lane's End or the syndicate that owns NM putting the same level of fanatic dedication into making their horse that the Ramseys have done.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Postby CherryDavis » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks for the quality insight kimberley mine! I had short listed him but then got cold feet and went for Verrazano instead. Hopefully that was a wise decision. I'm not wild about the number of mares that Ashford pumps to their stallions, but I think he will have a wider appeal and he was a favorite of mine when he was running.