Fairy King

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Fairy King

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Fairy King only had one race, and I think that he was injured in the race, and it was a career ender.

Fairy King went to stud and did so well that he was soon in demand. He did sire some very good horses and was considered a very good sire. He is a full brother to Saddler's Wells, one of the greatest sires of the past 50 years or so.

My question is this: Is Fairy King's sire line still going strong, or is it disappearing, or is it surviving? Anyone know about FK's sire line?

BTW, not crazy about his name, but he was a wonderful stallion.
Shawklit Won.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Re: Fairy King

Postby springboro » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:26 am

from http://vicstallions.com.au/special-bond ... formation/

His sire Fairy King has one of the best pedigree’s in the world, is from a genuinely great stallion family, and is a proven multi-Champion stallion on a world scale. Fairy King has also made his mark in Australia as a sire of stallions through his fine son Encosta de Lago, who is firmly established as one of the best sires in Australia. Other sons of Fairy King at stud in Australasia include Helissio (sire of Derby winner Helenus from his first crop) & Shinko King (sire of Oaks winner Bramble Rose in his first crop).

What exactly don't you like about his name? His dam is Fairy Bridge and his sire is the kingmaker, Northern Dancer. I suspect he's named after the famous Shakespearean character, Oberon, from A Midsummer Night's Dream. Seems like the perfect name to me.
Last edited by springboro on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 am

from http://helloracefans.com/handicapping/p ... oint-north

While unplaced in his only start, Fairy King produced several top turf sires in Ireland and Australia. His Japanese-raced son Shinko King produced Group 1 New Zealand Derby winner C’est La Guerre and multiple G1-winner Eskimo Queen, while Fairy King’s multiple Group 1-winning son Falbrav (who entered stud in 2004) produced in his first crop Group 1-placed Fravashi.
Still, the best of Fairy King’s offspring is top Australian sire Encosta de Lago, whose progeny include at least 16 individual Group 1 winners such as Sacred Kingdom, Sirmione, Manhattan Rain, Newport, Road to Rock, and Princess Coup. Not many Encosta de Lago progeny have raced in America, but his Man of Illusion did win the 2006 Grade 3 Aegon Turf Sprint at Churchill Downs before returning to stud duty in Australia. So, if you see any Encosta de Lago foals running, you better believe they’d be at home on grass.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks Springboro. Glad to see that Fairy King's sire line is flourishing in Australia and Japan. I wish that it was in the U.S. I didn't see any of Fairy King's sons at Coolmore Ireland, but maybe one of Encosta de Lago's sons. I will have to check that out.

Some of Sadler's Wells' sons and grandsons have done well at stud in America. I think that grandsons of FK probably would too if they were given the opportunity.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 pm

I am surprised that Fairy King does not seem to have many sons or grandsons at stud in Europe, or at least that I know of. I thought that Coolmore Ireland might have one or two of his grandsons being that Fairy King was there. Maybe it's because Sadler's Wells and Galileo are so dominant in Europe.

Anyway, I wish that some of Fairy King's grandsons would go to stud in America.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks Hyphen. Was 1969 a favorite racing year for you? If my recollections are correct, that was the year of Majestic Prince and Arts and Letters. Was one of those horses a favorite of yours?

So, Fairy King's sire line is going strong in India as well as in Australia and Japan. Maybe South Africa as well. I wonder why his sire line isn't as strong in Europe. It seems like all of his best horses ended up being shipped to Asia or Australia.

I noticed that a lot of his sons were gelded. It seems to me that with a pedigree a good as his, then breeders would want a lot of his sons to go to stud. Kind of like Halo in America.
Shawklit Won.

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:58 am

Hello,
Fairy King had in Germany the Sire Tannenkönig (Fairy King - Tannenalm by Luciano)
He raced from 2 to 4 year old with 16 starts, 1 win and 11 placings. (placed at Group II and
Group III Level).
He stood at the Trona Stud. So far I know, he isn't alive anymore. His best offspring was the
filly Proudance

Regards, Bettina

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Bettina.

That is one in Germany. I think that there would be more of Fairy King's sons and grandsons at stud in Europe if not for his full brother, Sadler's Wells, who is arguably one of the greatest sires of all time. Maybe that (Sadler's Wells and his sons and grandsons) is why most of Fairy King's best sons and grandsons have been shipped to Asia and Australia and India.
Shawklit Won.

hyphen1969
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hyphen1969 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Thanks Hyphen. Was 1969 a favorite racing year for you? If my recollections are correct, that was the year of Majestic Prince and Arts and Letters. Was one of those horses a favorite of yours?

So, Fairy King's sire line is going strong in India as well as in Australia and Japan. Maybe South Africa as well. I wonder why his sire line isn't as strong in Europe. It seems like all of his best horses ended up being shipped to Asia or Australia.

I noticed that a lot of his sons were gelded. It seems to me that with a pedigree a good as his, then breeders would want a lot of his sons to go to stud. Kind of like Halo in America.

1969 was not my favorite racing year - it was my YOB!
Fairy King also has good son in Poland - Two-Twenty-Two

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 am

I will always remember Turtle Island. He won the Irish 2000 Guineas for Robert Sangster he won that race by fifteen lenghts....but the ground was soaked and he loved it. If anyone would like to know more about this son of Fairy King, just give me a mail.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Hyphen: Sorry about the YOB thing. I wish I was that young.

I just looked up Two-twenty-two on the pedigree query. It looks like he was a good one. I wonder how his progeny are doing.

Erins Isle: Thanks. Turtle Island was at stud at Coolmore for awhile I think. Any of his offspring doing well at stud? They are probably in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or South Africa if they are.
Shawklit Won.

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:39 am

Last edited by hpkingjr on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:10 pm

hpkingjr wrote:I think this guy is in the Minnesota Stallion Auction.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/kings+blood2

Thanks. That is a start.

With all of the good horses that were sired by Fairy King, there should be a FK son or grandson at stud at one of the big farms in Kentucky. Maybe some day.
Shawklit Won.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:27 am

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/stalli ... e_id=83674

These are a few of Turtle Island that performed well on the racecourse.

Turtle Bow performed well in France. In 2003 she raced in the USA.
Coronium was a good racehorse:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_ ... horse_form

Her yearling filly by Rock of Gibraltar was sold for 42.000 GB pounds at the October Yearling Sales.

http://docs.tattersalls.com/cat/october2/2014/868.pdf
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.