Opinions on Musketier

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

DonaldT
Suckling

Opinions on Musketier

Postby DonaldT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am

Any stallion that races through age 10 is definitely "intriguing" in my book. Does anybody have thoughts about him as a sire? His sales record isn't very good but it's based upon a very small sample pool at this point. The Stallion Register said he entered stud in 2013...has anyone seen him in person or seen his babies? Does anyone know what kind of book he saw last year? Is Calumet a good farm to build up and "make" a stallion? I find this stallion super interesting, but probably only from a breed-to-race standpoint...I'm not familiar enough with European bloodlines to know if he will have a big commercial appeal and with only 2 yearlings sold thus far I can't draw conclusions from his sales performance just yet. Thanks!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Opinions on Musketier

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:20 pm

In general, if an entire stallion races until he is 10 years old, even if he races at a very high level, it's safe to assume that the commercial market is not interested in him. If there were interest for him as a stallion prospect, he would have been retired and syndicated.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:34 am

At least two other topics regarding MUSKETIER
have been posted here (Del Mar):

FIRST TOPIC: "Lets buy Musketier (Ger) for stallion duty:"
viewtopic.php?t=30637&start=15

SECOND TOPIC: "Musketier – two close black ancestors",
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30685&hilit=musketier

DonaldT
Suckling

Postby DonaldT » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Yes thanks. Ive read both of those threads and neither of them addressed my queries above, hence the new post/topic. Likewise, I'm aware that he is not commercially fashionable which is why I mentioned he might be a "breed to race" sire option...but I'm looking for additional information from someone who has inspected him or seen his offspring.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:58 pm

I think it is a matter of having faith on Musketier's ability to produce
progeny with staying power that may later reproduce staying
power. I don't think that broodmare sire (and sire) Princequillo
came out of the blue sky without first being given a fair chance
to demonstrate what ability he had. But it took precious time and... yes,
resources, something todays market doesn't want to give or wait.
That's the sad difference!

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:50 am

Hello,
it is understandable American breeders are sceptical about Musketier, even he showed his racing ability until he was 10 years old.

His damline and his breeding Background is pretty unfamiliar in your Country. I will try to give some insight in his ped. It could be only some kind of "Spotlights" of his ped, if possible with an "American Connection".

Musketiers damline belongs to the Credenda/Trustful Family, like Surumu (Sire of Acatenango, very good racehorse and German Derby Winner), btw Rambuctious (see Gulch) is from the same branch.
Acatenango, was intutn Sire of the German Derbywinners (for example Lando), he is from the Family of American Post, Hard Sauce, High Top. His damline procuded the Derby Marduk and is 12x4 bred to Caro (see Carwhite , Sibirian Express, Dr. Carter, Tejano) and in Germany Nebos. His Damsire is Linamix, tracing to Gondolette /Selene (Hyperion, Pharamond, Sickle etc.) and was an very successful Sire in France. A closer look at his ped reveals there is an American branch from the "Gallopade" Family.

An interesting feature, Phaetonia (see Aggressor) is a Nearco/Hyperion cross as in Nearctic + Fair Trial/Riot (Combat) are close relatives.

Most Germanbred racehorses are not so precocious as their US Counterparts (Breeders and owners have to be patient) and second they show their ability on "Turf" and like more "Long distance" races.

Hope I could provide some clues.

Regards, Bettina

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 am

Bettina wrote:Hello,
it is understandable American breeders are sceptical about Musketier, even he showed his racing ability until he was 10 years old.

His damline and his breeding Background is pretty unfamiliar in your Country. I will try to give some insight in his ped. It could be only some kind of "Spotlights" of his ped, if possible with an "American Connection".

Musketiers damline belongs to the Credenda/Trustful Family, like Surumu (Sire of Acatenango, very good racehorse and German Derby Winner), btw Rambuctious (see Gulch) is from the same branch.
Acatenango, was intutn Sire of the German Derbywinners (for example Lando), he is from the Family of American Post, Hard Sauce, High Top. His damline procuded the Derby Marduk and is 12x4 bred to Caro (see Carwhite , Sibirian Express, Dr. Carter, Tejano) and in Germany Nebos. His Damsire is Linamix, tracing to Gondolette /Selene (Hyperion, Pharamond, Sickle etc.) and was an very successful Sire in France. A closer look at his ped reveals there is an American branch from the "Gallopade" Family.

An interesting feature, Phaetonia (see Aggressor) is a Nearco/Hyperion cross as in Nearctic + Fair Trial/Riot (Combat) are close relatives.

Most Germanbred racehorses are not so precocious as their US Counterparts (Breeders and owners have to be patient) and second they show their ability on "Turf" and like more "Long distance" races.

Hope I could provide some clues.

Regards, Bettina

Enjoyed your post. What type of mare, both physical type and bloodlines would suit him the best?
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 am

Acatenango is also the broodmare sire of Animal Kingdom.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:58 am

The stallion is an interesting prospect for you, and he surely earns attention. His sire Acatenango was also a horse for the KWPN breeding (warmblood in Holland) and maybe you know that our country is making a great name in that kind of sport (dressage and jumping) in the last 30 years. Acatenango was a very tough and genuine horse and looking at Musketiers' races, I think he is as tough as his dad. And you must not forget that he raced in Europe for a great part and WITHOUT ANY HELP. These horses are best on grass.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Cryptic Ninja
Yearling

Postby Cryptic Ninja » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Jorge wrote:I think it is a matter of having faith on Musketier's ability to produce
progeny with staying power that may later reproduce staying
power. I don't think that broodmare sire (and sire) Princequillo
came out of the blue sky without first being given a fair chance
to demonstrate what ability he had. But it took precious time and... yes,
resources, something todays market doesn't want to give or wait.
That's the sad difference!

Musketier ran 5 times as a 2 yr old for 2 wins including at stakes win at G.3.
How much time does his stock need?