"In pedigree of" and sire line tools for breeders' research

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

MaresRest
Suckling

"In pedigree of" and sire line tools for breeders' research

Postby MaresRest » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Two of my favorite tools within the BloodHorse Stallion Register book were always the sire line descent chart and the cross index to pedigrees.

A few weeks ago, those resources became available online. They're just .pdf versions of the printed book--and they include only stallions advertised in that book--but there's a whole lot of valuable research here.

The cross index to pedigrees (often called "in pedigree of") allows breeders to find stallions containing specific horses. It's a super tool for inbreeding (including Rasmussen Factor crosses) as well as nicking. I have a mare from the family of Allegretta, as an example, and I like the idea of introducing Miswaki blood. The tool lets me know there are 10 stallions with Miswaki in their 4-generation pedigree. Find the cross index to pedigrees here: http://i.bloodhorse.com/Downloads/special-reports/pdfs/2018-cross-index-to-pedigrees-994908136.pdf

Some breeders will find the sire line descent chart to be a good reference. (Even if you don't put any faith in historic sire lineage, you might just enjoy it as a history lesson.) The first two pages of that document start with Matchem (the sire line of the Godolphin Barb) and Eclipse (representing the Darley Arabian). (No Byerley Turk-line stallions are advertised, otherwise there'd be another lineage starting with Herod.) Then, the full top-line descent is illustrated for every advertised stallion. It's a good visual display of how endangered the Himyar line is, as an example, as well as how close or distant Include is from Holy Bull as representatives from Himyar's sons Domino and Plaudit. Find the tail male sire lines tool here: http://i.bloodhorse.com/Downloads/special-reports/pdfs/2018-stallion-register-tail-male-sire-lines-1793430302.pdf
-----
Mares' Rest is a retirement facility for Thoroughbred broodmares. We're currently seeking 501(c)(3) certification.
This Pedigree Online account is monitored by Scot Gillies.