ALMOST TIME FOR SARATOGA WHO'S GOING?!?!

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

ALMOST TIME FOR SARATOGA WHO'S GOING?!?!

Postby Crystal » Wed May 31, 2006 1:14 pm

We had a blast last year, and got to meet quite a few of you guys. Who is going this year?? Where ya staying?? What are ya doing during the day??

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed May 31, 2006 2:29 pm

OMG I would LOVE to come.... could wrangle the airfare but need a floor to sleep on. I had a BLAST last year. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!

Joe from PA where are ya? You might get a bevy of beauties to hang with at the races!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:17 pm

Madelyn,
We both stayed at Shelia's didnt we? and it was so great. Kate and I sale hopped at night at NYBs, and window shopped F-T the last day we were there.. We need more people there to share the joy!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:14 pm

I think I missed you, ie I stayed at Sheila's before you got there. I came up to see Rocky's young half sister sell (now named Song Cat).

I met lots of cyber-TBQuery pals and had a FANTASTIC time. Must do again kind of time.

I think Sheila got out altogether, haven't seen her on the board since then. I went with her to the first night of the NY breeder's sale and I know she was really disappointed with the results.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:47 pm

I will be there again this year....watching the F-T sale mainly.

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:25 pm

Hallo hallo hallo!

I've actually been busy off-board - family, horses and had some minor but time consuming health issues in late 05 and 06 alas ... Yes Saratoga was GREAT fun - and great to meet so many fellow posters.... but for me it was more fun AFTER the sales! When you've got your mind on immediate business it's hard to window shop and schmooze with total abandon. And as Madelyn notes I had a rather unhappy experience with the NY Breeders sale - both horses RNA'd (at reasonable reserves) and weren't sold at the barn either. Alas! A financial catastrophe for a small breeding partnership expecting 15-20K coming IN, and instead you've got 7K or so going OUT. There were simply not enough regular Saratoga buyers in attendance - probably out of loyalty to Fasig Tipton (which is doing its own "open" sale this year at Saratoga). However, the unsold colts were boarded over the winter by a young trainer-to-be with the intent of getting them ready for the races -- so perhaps the end result will prove the RNA to be serendipitous ala Came Home. In the short term I'm cutting back on breeding, however, and concentrating on racing. The RNAs were the last straw for a business partner, who ex-partnered herself, which was another financial and social set back.

In other areas of the business, there have been happier moments. For example, one of the horses bred by my partnership recently won a MSW at Belmont, and appears to be a solid sound horse, having also recently taken a 2nd in a MSW and middle of the pack in a stakes race. Another filly is also at Belmont and improving her performance (now in 40K claimers). I've pretty much decided to keep the partnership's 2005 American Chance filly to race - which will be exciting. And we had two lovely foals this year - an athletic colt by Mayakovsky and a picture perfect filly by Wiseman's Ferry.

I've missed all of you, and participating here, but can't participate consistently (which I think the forum demands, somewhat - or folks get offended).

Hope everyone is doing well. Have done some back reading ... and I must say I'm sorry for all troubles people seem to have experienced this past breeding season. It's a tough business in many ways.

Let's do Saratoga AGAIN! I go every year, but no horses in the sales this year so will be footloose and fancy free. I will probably see if I can find digs or a hotel room closer to the track this year. Crystal, Katie and Madelyn were v. gracious about the long walk to the track - but I think it is too far.

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:17 pm

Gerry,

Have you heard from Katie Sancuk recently? She hasn't returned a call since I got back from MA! If you have Jim's number, it would be great if you could send me a PM with it.

Hope to see you in Saratoga this year!

Sheila

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:51 pm

I might head up to the track, but I go back to college for summer session B in the last week of June/first week of July, so IDK if I'll be home enough to jump up to Saratoga, but I plan to if possible. I've never been to Saratoga on raceday, even though I'm only about 40 minutes from it, I've been to the Dressage Expo (I drove the track golf carts with my 4H leader, it was fun, after helping clean out stalls and load horses) and a few other tinier events, which were all great fun.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:36 am

Hi Sheila,

I saw her the weekend after you did but havent talked to her recently and I dont have Jim's # sorry...will try again today.

Gerry

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:29 am

I talked to Kate about 2 months ago about a horse we were trying to get out of crowley's.. She was super busy with work and her herd, but I'm sure we could get her out to Saratoga.. WE JUST NEED A PLACE TO CRASH, HOTELS MUST BE BOOKED BY NOW!!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:35 am

I believe I will be working a horse rig, with my sister in tow, and could manage a few days... yup, need a floor to sleep on if I can't get a tackroom at the track. I want to catch at least one night of the yearling sale and two days of racing.

LET'S DO IT!!!!