OBS Oct.

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

OBS Oct.

Postby Crystal » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:13 pm

I've only done my first picks for mares, but who knows if we will buy anything.. anyway. we;ll be down there with a 3 horse trailer. If anyone is going to buy, let me know. We'll be doing trucking from FL up to MA.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:15 pm

I thought the catalog was very weak, even for the October sale. Only the mare pinhookers seem to be offering anything of quality.

It appears that everyone has the same idea--get rid of the junk, and keep the better ones.

The Barretts Mixed Sale catalog (also on line) is very much the same story. A lot of bad mares and very few good ones. No one wants to keep paying the high maintenance costs for breeding stock incapable of making a profit.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:08 pm

Hi Michael

I guarantee you that there will be quite a few exceptional weanlings offered at OBS.

That always seems to be the case.

A good looking Successful Appeal or Yes It's True or Montbrook or Thunderello or Flame Thrower or Songandaprayer or Red Bullet or Yonaguska or Doneraile Court or More Than Ready may far outsell it's pedigree...on looks alone. And many will prove to be great pinhooks.

Today's market is about good looking horses...you know that...the catalogue page definitely takes a back seat to the individual.

Take a look at the current Keeneland September yearling sales results. Many $200,000 (and up) pedigrees representing yearlings that often are bringing a fraction of what you might expect. Sometimes barely a fraction of the stud fee. Why? Because it's all about the individuals...

if you have the pedigree to back up the outstanding individual the sky's the limit. But that's the exception and not the rule.

Again...I guarantee there will be many very special weanlings offered at OBS October...many will turn serious profits for pinhookers...and as always many of them will ultimately become star race horses.

Respectfully

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:28 pm

No doubt you're right. I don't look at weanlings--only breeding stock and that's what my comments related to. We're not far from the day when weanling/yearling/2yo sales won't even have a catalog--buyers will only be interested in type and those of us who still pedigree-worship won't have anything to read.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:27 am

Oct OBS often has inexpensive breeding stock. I wonder how many will be withdrawn from this sale because sales prepping techniques have been disrupted because of the hurricane and some farms are having a hard time getting supplies. I also wonder what condition the sales ground is in, no damage I guess or else the TB times or the Bloodhorse would have picked up on it.

yes, the average mare in the catalog has a weak first couple generations, and the production records some what "suck", but there are a few good mares in there.

I'm not in the market for weanlings either, some ok ones in there, pedigree wise. but nothing jumps at me.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:03 pm

Is there a web site that I can log on to, that will have videos of the TB featured in the class sales around the country?
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:53 pm

what are you guys talking about october sale?? the catalog is not online yet are you referring to last octobers sale? I am so confused..but i will be down there this october too. :lol:
"The blood runs hot in the Thoroughbred and the courage runs deep.
In the best of them, pride is limitless. This is their heritage and
they carry it like a banner. What they have, they use."

---C. W. Anderson