Giant's Causeway

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Mike
Allowance Winner

Giant's Causeway

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:27 pm

GC had a good sale in NZ with the highest price being $NZ875K. He has only yearling in the SH. Easter in Sydney should show up some interesting results.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:24 pm

hi Mike

May I ask...do you sense that the Coolmore guys may be (in any way) involved in the purchase?

I sense that the spin in North America seems to be declining in sizzle...and is less convincing by the day.

Maybe when the European racing opens up this spring they'll be more to talk about.

Best to you.

Respectfully

Mike
Allowance Winner

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:37 am

Always possible FOS. They can't be buying them all though. Purchase price is one thing and performance is another. I feel that the later will win through.
The Coolmore boys put a good spin on things but the horse must still perform!

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:57 pm

hi Mike

Yes...they are the masters of spin...but the burden of keeping GC propped-up in North America seems to be weighing heavy.

I suggest that it's becoming more difficult to convince many that race in North America (particularly on the dirt) that getting an occasional maiden winner here justifies a US$150,000 stud fee.

He was a super-star champion race horse...but the more GC's I see...it appears evident that he gets an abundance of "lightweights"...

...regardless...his sheer volume in numbers (of offspring) all but ensures a degree of success...and a probability that he'll have a very nice one now and then...as he did accross the pond...

I hope that when their time comes...your Giant's Causeways are a smashing success.

As an aside...have you read or seen that Successful Appeal had a colt (named Closing Argument) win the US$150,000 G3 Holy Bull Stakes at a mile and an eighth on the dirt...at Gulfstream Park last Saturday (Feb 5, 2005) ?

He still amazes me...Successful Appeal.

Best to you.

Respectfully

ef
Maiden Special Weight

Postby ef » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:55 pm

Hey FOS-

Just out of curiousity, how many Giant's Causeways have you seen? Are they from his first crop, his second, or his third? Have you seen them on the racetrack, at the sales, or on the farm? He certainly had some lovely horses at Kee Sep this past year (because he had so many, he also had some pretty sad looking ones, I'll admit). I was particularly taken with Free House's half-brother (now named Gray Star), but my overall impression of them was quite positive.

Just curious! Thanks for your comments.

FOS wrote:hi Mike

Yes...they are the masters of spin...but the burden of keeping GC propped-up in North America seems to be weighing heavy.

I suggest that it's becoming more difficult to convince many that race in North America (particularly on the dirt) that getting an occasional maiden winner here justifies a US$150,000 stud fee.

He was a super-star champion race horse...but the more GC's I see...it appears evident that he gets an abundance of "lightweights"...

...regardless...his sheer volume in numbers (of offspring) all but ensures a degree of success...and a probability that he'll have a very nice one now and then...as he did accross the pond...

I hope that when their time comes...your Giant's Causeways are a smashing success.

As an aside...have you read or seen that Successful Appeal had a colt (named Closing Argument) win the US$150,000 G3 Holy Bull Stakes at a mile and an eighth on the dirt...at Gulfstream Park last Saturday (Feb 5, 2005) ?

He still amazes me...Successful Appeal.

Best to you.

Respectfully

Mike
Allowance Winner

Postby Mike » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:35 pm

Hi FOS
Sorry I've taken so long to reply but was down at the Melbourne sales. I did not see the news about SA but it does not surprise now! He could be anything yet. I'd love to try one down here.
Best regards