Keeneland is looking pretty sad today

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Daisy Jal Dastur wrote:Quick question - how much time before a horse sells that he/she can be declared 'out' of the sale?

Example - after watching the bloodbath yesterday, I called a consignor friend of mine about a filly he was selling this afternoon - said everything was fine with her and they're looking at around $200K. My trainer called this morning sayign that he saw her and really liked her - he said that they were now looking for $170K-$180K. So, finally, I'm watching the auction online, waiting for her... only to find her declared 'out'!!! :evil:

maybe they decided to sell outside and just go in and pay the comission after the fact, I would think they would still post a price though if that happened?

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Stud Fees

Postby RandomThoughts » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:26 pm

I've been predicting this "adjustment" for a few years. Stallion managers have been setting stud fees at multiples of the median of earnings of their stallions leaving no room for the costs of raising and training the foals. In my opinion, stud fees should come down by 50-80% from the peak.

All the breeders that have been persuaded to pass through these elevated stud fees to buyers at the sales are going to be out of business after this sale. And the ones who take the yearlings back home are going to find how hard it is to win just $50K or $100K with a horse on the track, assuming they ever start at all.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:04 pm

We bit the bullet and pulled our Suave colt out of the sale on Monday afternoon. He was due to ship in on Tuesday and based on the sales we decided no way were we takin him down there. So, the devil is in the barn and will either be raced by us or go to a two year old sale .
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 am

I think you might have made the right decision, clh. Sorry to hear that, though, I was hoping to see you there.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 pm

I guess cursing isn't allowed here :lol: but I sure wanted to get rid of these bad boys but not at the risk of "giving them away". We've made some pretty stupid decisions in the past (I'm thinking of a Medallist colt that I sold for $10,000 just "because" that sold for $225,000) and I now listen to my gut and to hubby's gut instead of saying we said we were going to sell them "at this sale". We do have other options for them and after having them this long, really, how much more can than possible cost me???? They can however continue to kick my rear. For instance, Trace decided today that he was no going into his stall. Nothing like a yearling colt (who is "almost" as big as the mares but not quite) rearing on his hind legs in th barn on you. Can we say gelding before the 2 year old sales :twisted:

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 pm

clh.. if you need to you can start putting chiffneys on those bad boys... We also have a shank in the barn that is vet wrapped and ready for slipping on. Especially with those big colts, I think sometimes you need to PROVE you are the alpha mare.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:15 pm

You think I'm not using a bit? You don't know this dumb a** :wink: He is his mother's son but I'll put my money on him at the track any day.