Thorograph Reports

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

Thorograph Reports

Postby Gallop58 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Anyone used the new Thorograph sales reports?

One could argue that the info in the reports might be more useful than the standard catalogue page if you're looking to buy runners. (The mare progeny report anyway).

http://www.equineline.com/samples/samp4 ... ts_dam.pdf

Thoughts?

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:20 am

I am not really familiar with the Thorograph sales reports and I am not understanding the attachment. Are you sure you posted the correct link?

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: Thorograph Reports

Postby ct2346 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 am

Gallop58 wrote:Anyone used the new Thorograph sales reports?

One could argue that the info in the reports might be more useful than the standard catalogue page if you're looking to buy runners. (The mare progeny report anyway).

http://www.equineline.com/samples/samp4 ... ts_dam.pdf

Thoughts?

I agree. This basically equalizes the data for the reader. A 10 in a BEL alw is more significant than a 3rd placing in the bull ring marathon stakes race - of which the 5 runner 1997 version was much slower than the 12 runner 1998 version. It always halps when performance can be put on an accurate scale.

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

Thorograph

Postby Gallop58 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 am

Thorograph is a relatively sophisticated handicapping tool. It's got it's own shorthand (which is what looks funny on the sheets in the attachment)
Think of it as a Beyer Speed Figure with more information.
There are other reports too. You can get one for all the runners of a sire ($$$)
What this report does is give a full race history of all the dam's runners. This should in theory tell you things like "Dam is a sprinter type, bred to sprinter types, do the foals sprint and do they do it fast?", "How did the full brother actually race", Was the black type earned by luck or is that half sister of the one in the ring actually talented?
The catalogue page is a sales tool and as such is setup to highlight things in a positive manner. Some catalogue are a laugh for what they leave out... This type of info seems highly logical in evaluation of familys etc. In fact, persoanlly, I would like to see Nicking programs use actual performance data like this instead of $ earned, graded results, stakes results, etc.
This report seems to me to be a good equalizer. The problem is the cost. It's way too expensive.
Maybe I'll tackle the one in the example file so we can look at the info provided. To me this is one of the most significant things coming down the pipe to try and counter the sales hype from sellers. This type of data has traditionally been hard to accumulate and expensive and basically kept buyers and consumers from doing reasonable and independent due diligence on horseflesh purposes. Of course if you're familiar with all the dams runners personally and have seen lots of the sires offspring run, you're in great shape to buy stock, but for those of us that aren't this stuff helps (in my opinion)...