Saratoga Select Sale: Catalog online

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Saratoga Select Sale: Catalog online

Postby dray33 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:33 am

http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogues/2010/index.asp

Looks like I have the only Rahy in the book (a filly out of Staria) Hip Number 180. This is one that's kinda hard to part with. Best to everyone buying/selling.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 am

Good luck! Hopefully the economy will still be on the upswing. Page looks good, you should do okay.

winds

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Best of luck to you, Dray!

BTW, Sunlight Sonata (the Unbridled's Song filly you liked from Saratoga last year) is being entered tomorrow for a MSW at Belmont on July 1st. Don't know if the race will go, but just wanted to give you the heads up in case you had a chance to catch it.

Good luck to all involved with the sale!

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:09 pm

oooooh. Please post how she does justinnich! Good luck!

Hotwalker
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Hotwalker » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:10 am

#12 is a full to Ghostzapper.

What a fun catalog to read through. Anyone have some personal favorites or ones they've earmarked to track?

Lucy

Re: Saratoga Select Sale: Catalog online

Postby Lucy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:00 pm

dray33 wrote:Looks like I have the only Rahy in the book (a filly out of Staria) Hip Number 180. This is one that's kinda hard to part with. Best to everyone buying/selling.

She scratched - hope all is well. I was looking forward to seeing her in the ring, having been very impressed by her 'baby pictures'.

Turn-To Fan
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Turn-To Fan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Lucy, did you check her out on the Virtual Inspections on Fasig-Tipton's website? They have a close-up of the head, a walking video and a conformation shot for most of the select sale horses. Hip 180 is still impressive.

I must say I really enjoyed the Virtual Inspections. I looked at most of the horses and made my own short list, but it was really hard to decide, as there were so many nice ones. But if I could have one horse, it would be Hip 199 (full brother to Court Vision). He is gorgeous.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 am

Turn-To Fan wrote:I must say I really enjoyed the Virtual Inspections. I looked at most of the horses and made my own short list, but it was really hard to decide, as there were so many nice ones. But if I could have one horse, it would be Hip 199 (full brother to Court Vision). He is gorgeous.

I was surprised that he didn't bring more. He comes from one of the best families in the stud book, his full brother is a star, and just about everything his dam produces can just flat out run: 11 foals, 11 runners, 10 winners including 6 with blacktype (4 multi-stakes winners) and 5 with earnings of more than half a million. He seems like a better bet to become a top racehorse than many others that were offered. I guess he must have a hole somewhere.

Turn-To Fan
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Turn-To Fan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:40 am

I agree with you, LB, although his sire, Gulch, is certainly not fashionable. Also, Court Vision is better on grass, which may have stopped some people. Did anyone see him in person? He certainly looked and acted well on the video. Maybe something on the xrays?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:26 am

Turn-To Fan wrote:I agree with you, LB, although his sire, Gulch, is certainly not fashionable. Also, Court Vision is better on grass, which may have stopped some people. Did anyone see him in person? He certainly looked and acted well on the video. Maybe something on the xrays?

I have to assume there was something. I wouldn't say Gulch is unfashionable--just older and not as prominent as he used to be. Besides, what you'd be buying is that incredible family, plus how well Gulch has crossed with that mare before, producing G1 winning millionaire Court Vision, his multi-stakes winning full brother Garcia Marquez, and a 3rd full brother, Tagano Indy, winner of 800K in Japan.

I'd sure rather have a horse that can earn 1.9M on grass than one that earns 50K on dirt. :wink:

Turn-To Fan
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Turn-To Fan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am

"I'd sure rather have a horse that can earn 1.9M on grass than one that earns 50K on dirt."

Me too!

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Saratoga Select Sale: Catalog online

Postby dray33 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 am

Lucy wrote:She scratched - hope all is well. I was looking forward to seeing her in the ring, having been very impressed by her 'baby pictures'.

Hi all. Been away, but the Rahy filly got an infection and we didn't think it prudent to ship her to the sale. Anyway, we hopefully come back as the "star" in October. She would have fit right in at Saratoga, so I'm a bit bummed we missed it. Maybe a blessing in disguise... well never know. She is a stunner. And Brushed Bayou's baby is filling out nicely too. She is in second book, Keeneland.

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:52 am

The full brother to Kipling and Court Vision was an attractive horse, great bodied, slightly upright in his pasterns, toed out in his left fore and a better than average walk. Nothing dramatic to fault him on. Although I did not vet him I heard he vetted well (there is so much waiting time at Saratoga that you hear about every horse).

I thought $330,000 in today's market was plenty of money for him.

The interesting thing this year was the number of horses at Saratoga with a "hole", a vet issue. It is a boutique sale where holes kill you - remember there are 4800 more yearlings selling in a few weeks. The Mill Ridge Medaglia D'Oro might have been the sale topper if he had not had a vet issue (sold for $350,000).

Linda Rice may have stolen one when she bought the Ghostzapper for $50,000 - he was a very nice horse. It looked like too much of a potential trap for me - if he does not run there will be plenty of Monday Morning Quarterbacks saying "why the hell did he buy a Ghostzapper anyway?"
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:59 am

da hossman wrote:The full brother to Kipling and Court Vision was an attractive horse, great bodied, slightly upright in his pasterns, toed out in his left fore and a better than average walk. Nothing dramatic to fault him on. Although I did not vet him I heard he vetted well (there is so much waiting time at Saratoga that you hear about every horse).

I thought $330,000 in today's market was plenty of money for him.

The interesting thing this year was the number of horses at Saratoga with a "hole", a vet issue. It is a boutique sale where holes kill you - remember there are 4800 more yearlings selling in a few weeks. The Mill Ridge Medaglia D'Oro might have been the sale topper if he had not had a vet issue (sold for $350,000).

Linda Rice may have stolen one when she bought the Ghostzapper for $50,000 - he was a very nice horse. It looked like too much of a potential trap for me - if he does not run there will be plenty of Monday Morning Quarterbacks saying "why the hell did he buy a Ghostzapper anyway?"

Thanks for the info about the Weekend Storm colt. I only got to see him in the video but I thought he looked pretty good. We own his 7/8ths sister in kind (swap Danzig for Storm Bird and we're there) and the family kind of fascinates me. :)

The Ghostzappers interest me, perhaps more than they should, LOL. I've seen a couple that looked pretty good on the track. They're mostly going at bargain prices now; I wouldn't be at all opposed to buying a filly of his from a good female family.

As for the holes, I figured there had to be some. It was unexpected to see buybacks of 40K at Saratoga, so I assumed that some people got bad news 10 days out with their sales xrays. That's a long way to ship a yearling who has suddenly become not what that market wants.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:11 pm

out of the 2nd day only 1 horse really, really, really stood out to me, a filly by mr greeley and i'm not a mr greeley fan at all but I liked everything about that filly.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein