A New Challenge...

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

A New Challenge...

Postby Crystal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:58 am

The $925k horse thread gave me an idea.

Fantasy Sale Horse Game.. an on going experiement in virtual horse ownership.

Pick 5 yearlings (based on pedigree alone) out of the catalog. Maybe we can start with the Saratoga Sale. List why you picked who you did and what you see them excelling at based on pedigree.

5- horses based on pedigree alone. Of course we dont know how horses x-ray/scope etc. That you would add to your stables.

18 months from now (or more) re-visiting and see whos selections have made it to the track and how they are doing.

This may have been easier with the 2 year old sales, but I still think it's fun.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 am

I'm in!

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 am

Great Idea!

Maybe get Keeneland or Fasig Tipton to chip in a little 'incentive'.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:02 pm

oo good call! Maybe consignors too..

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Sounds like fun.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:00 am

I'm in! I think, actually, it would be really fun to have to pick 3 from the Saratoga Select session, and two from the NY-bred preferred the following week. Then it's a matter of shopping the high-end, and the bread-and-butter side of the market. But Crystal, it's your idea, so however you want to structure it...should be fun!
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 am

I'm open to all imput and I'm thinking we should create a portfolio of sales horses, not just NY or KY.. Florida, CA, Indiana, TX, but I think NY Select & Preferred is a good jumping off point.

5 horses from each yearling sale
must be posted here before sale starts
selected on pedigree alone
brownie points if you pick the sale topper.. (brownie points for what I dont know).
State why you picked them, and where you see them excelling based on pedigree information.
* No logically reason needed on why you picked them needed. If you like the sire, dam, or who-ever. Go for it!

When the time comes, post workouts, names, whatever info you like about your Virtual Buy, and we'll see how we do.

I played a game like this once where we had a "budget" and we had to see whos' horse made the most of his ROI in a years time.. It became more of a game of who had the biggest loss.

If anyone wants to add anything else that'd be fun!

leveeguy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby leveeguy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm

When I was a kid, I did something similar to this -- I called it ``fantasy Keeneland sale.'' It was a lot more fun than fantasy baseball!

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 am

omg... this is soooo DIFFICULT! I have my top 7 from Saratoga, but I don' think I can cut it to five. I had 15, and that was hard enough.

When do we post our selections?

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 am

I guess anytime. I just got my catalogs for Saratoga. (I like doing my research 'by the book). but just post before the sale starts.

Why don't we do a first string/second string.. so you dont have to "cut" all of your horses.

Pick 5 horses, (and 3 back ups in case the horses are considered an out).
RNA price counts
PS price counts.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Sounds good, Crystal! Do you want to come up with the calendar of sales we're "shopping" at? Saratoga Select, Saratoga NY Breds, Keeneland September, F-T Eastern Fall, and F-T Kentucky Fall Yearlings? Do we want to throw OBS August (Select/Open as one sale) into the mix, too?
Michael Slezak

Bargain Blueblood

[email protected]

917.455.0693 (cell)

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Ok. I'll start this off (hope I'm not too early!)

August 8 - 9, 2011
Saratoga Selected Yearlings
Fasig-Tipton New York, Inc.
Saratoga Springs, New York

I selected based on early 2 year old success, and chose mostly proven producers whose progeny had G1 or G2 wins at 2. I also tried to keep with stallions with proven ability at 2.

My logic in selecting many of these yearlings is that I think they will go to better known trainers and owners, and the expectation will be to run them early and in bigger races.

HIP 146 SHOULD be the sale topper. By Indian Charlie and 1/2 to champion 2 year old Kodiak Kowboy.

HIP 56 MAY be the sale topper, as he is the 1/2 to KY Derby winner Super Saver. By Medalglia d"Oro, this one should be better at 3, but there is ability at 2 here.

HIP 147 is 3/4 sister to champion 2 year old Indian Blessing. Another Indian Charlie here. I was trying to get another sire offering, but I can't go against these two strong choices.

HIP 111 is by Unbridled and out of G1 millionaire Dream Supreme, who produced G1 Hopeful S. winner Majestic Warrior.

HIP 22 is by Curlin, out of an Alydar mare who produced G1 millionaire Secret Status and G3 Alumni Hall. Better at 3?

my also rans include hips 10, 54 (dam is 1/2 to Stevie Wonderboy), 63 (dam is 1/2 to Bosra Sham), 68 (dam is champion 3 year old Wait A While), 80 (dam is 1/2 to Afleet Alex) and 157 (1/2 sibling to Oaks winner Plum Pretty).

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Mike broke from the gate first!

I'm going to say all yearling sales Aug-October.

I'm also going to add one more Lucky Pick - Post sale Biggest Pin Hook Prospect!! Only to be picked after the sale is completed!!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:29 pm

All of these horses are in the Saratoga Sale.

My criteria are as follows:

1. The dam must be a winner OR have produced graded winners.
2. Regardless of race record, the dam must have produced winners. This already narrows down the pool by quite a lot. No unproven mares, no well-bred mares with 2 or 3 foals of racing age and no winners yet.
3. Bonus points of the dam is bred on a cross that has been successful in the past, either with a successful sibling or a mating that is generally very successful (e.g. Holy Bull/Blushing Groom).
4. The sire must suit the dam, aka no breeding a turfy Euro mare to Songandaprayer.
5. The sire must be proven.

In other words, these are horses who should make money, not just be pricey yearlings. Here we go.

#40 b f Arch-Sharp Apple, by Diesis. Three-parts sister to a listed-placed filly by Dynaformer, full sister to a winner in England. Out of a stakes-winning mare by an excellent broodmare sire, on a bloodline cross (Roberto + the mare Mixed Marriage) that has been very successful many, many times before. Will run 7-9f on the grass.

# 57 b f Tapit - Sweet and Careless, by Hennessy. Full sister to Careless Jewel, dam has been a very solid producer.

#69 b f Not For Love - Who's Cozy, by Cozzene. If a Not For Love made it to the Saratoga Select sale, she's probably a physical knockout. Family is a little bit less bred in the purple than others in this sale, but the filly is well-bred and the dam and 2nd dam are producing winners. PA-bred opens options for racing, as well, and there is the possibility of getting MD-sired status. Racing aptitude will depend on her physical type, and whether she throws to the sire (6-8f on dirt) or dam (7-9f, dirt or turf). Wouldn't be surprised to see this filly running at Presque Isle on the synth. Would be a VERY good candidate to get Delaware certified.

#92 ch c Kitten's Joy - Caterette, by Cozzene. Full brother to two winning, graded stakes-placed geldings, both of whom are still racing and one of whom has won an additional race since the catalog was published. Of only two foals to race, this mare's offspring have already won over a quarter of a million dollars. Registered NY-bred will add earning potential to an already useful resume. 7-10f, turf or synth.

#146 b c Indian Charlie - Kokadrie, by Coronado's Quest. Half brother to a champion, by a stallion who likes extra Raise a Native in his mares, out of a mare from a deep and well-bred family. I have a bit of hesitation about this given that there are at least three unraced producing mares under the second dam, including the dam herself, but anybody who can produce a two-time champion deserves a look. Blazing fast on the dirt, can probably go to 8f but would excel at 6-7.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 am

two very well thought out selections so far. Keep it going guys!