A New Challenge...

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 pm

This is a real challenge for me because I like to see the horses. Based on pedigrees, the top picks may look good on paper, but without a conformation evaluation, it is very difficult.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:00 am

It's a challenge!! LOL. I have sales A.D.D. I will pick out what I like on paper, but see something in the flesh and moth to a light bulb I go..

I just did my first "walk-thorough" of the saratoga book. 16 on my short list. Horses took a big quality drop from first night to second night, and horses weren't what I've seen in the past.

Over-all, ok sale.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Crystal: OK. I get it.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 am

Shammy Davis wrote:This is a real challenge for me because I like to see the horses. Based on pedigrees, the top picks may look good on paper, but without a conformation evaluation, it is very difficult.

That's why I have the rule about both sire and dam must be proven...if the dam has multiple winners and the sire throws runners, then the performance potential is there, even if the physical is ugly.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 am

Horses I've picked, and my short list..

Hip# 56 - Superfection. 4/11/2010 Bay Colt (Medaglia d'Oro - Supercharger by A.P. Indy)
1/2 brother to Super Saver & Brethren. Dam has had 3 to race, all winners, including millionaire-derby winner- and Winstar supported stallion Super Saver. d'uh Winning!

Hip# 68 - 3/21/2010 Gray/Rn Colt (Distorted Humor - Wait A While by Maria's Mon.
First foal from Champion, multi-millionaire filly Wait A While. From the family of Lookin at Lucky.

Hip #146 4/7/2011 Bay colt (Indian Charlie - Kokadrie by Coronado's Quest).
Half to champion, millionaire Kowdiak Kowboy. 2 winners from 3 to race.

Hip#22 4/3/2010 Ch colt (Curlin - Private Status by Alydar).
Dam has produced 6 winners from 8 to race by decent Lanes End stallions. The immediate family of Dunkirk.

Hip#24 Beyond Belle 4/22/2010 Dark By Filly (Lemon Drop Kid x Queenie Belle by Bertrando)
Damis 100% producer of winners to runners including millionaire, BC Ladies Classic winner Unbridled Belle. Saw her at BC and WOW. Half brother by Empire Maker seems to be holding his own at the track, but this seems to be a Filly Family.

I do like Hip #114 in the second session by Bernardini - Easter Bunnette, being a half to Harve De Grace. Bernardini is doing well, but I'm on the fence with this one.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 am

Looks like we're not flying blind after all! Video inspections are available.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/sales- ... lings.aspx
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 am

I'm in when I return from FL where I'm visiting my very ill grandmother. I've had to resort to pilfering wifi from Starbucks right now.... and waiting for my mother to get me.

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:35 am

Here is my list:

Hip 68 Colt by Distorted Humor out of Wait A While
First foal out of Champion Wait a While & by super sire Distorted Humor. 2nd dam is by AP Indy who Distorted Humor has crossed very well with.

Hip 114 Colt by Bernardini out of Easter Bunnette
Half to Havre De Grace, I love Carson City anywhere in a pedigree to get a racehorse.

Hip 130 Colt by Bernardini out of Habiboo
2nd foal out of G2 placed Unbridled's Song mare who is a half to Street Boss

Hip 132 Colt by Indian Charlie out of High In The Park
By one of my fav sires & half to Met Mile winner Divine Park. Indian Charlie has crossed very well with Danzig line mares.

Hip 157 Filly by Dixie Union out of Liszy
Half to Kentucky Oaks winner Plum Pretty, Deep family

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:09 pm

#12, #41, #50, #83, #94, and #110.

My "blanket" reason is I like the sires and the individual mare lines were productive. The only sales I've attended were F-T MD so I'm a little unprepared for the select sales. Just off my short lists was #8, #128, #165, #194, and #199. I know that often the first foal of mare is very attractive to buyers, but I'm of the thinking "what has the mare done recently that gets my attention." I personally would avoid mares whose progeny have not raced. But if I knew what I was doing, I've have a reserved seat tommorrow in Saratoga, wouldn't I?

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Okay...here are my picks:

#11 An offbeat pick -- Street Boss colt who's the first foal out of a stakes winning Two Punch mare. Salty, durable Maryland family...there are a few other Hip Nos I like better (23, 47, 145, and 160, to be specific) but I sold a mare from this immediately family a few years back named For My Pleasure, and she's gone on to produce 2011 Tampa Bay Derby runner-up Crimson Knight, so I couldn't resist using this colt in the contest. I'm guessing he won't break the bank, and since I post as BargainBlueblood, I figured I'd better pick at least one bread-and-butter individual.

#29 Harlan's Holiday colt out of a Dynaformer half-sister to durable, incredible turf horse Cetewayo, the stakes-placed dam of current graded winner Willcox Inn, and a full to graded stakes winner Dynaforce. A Mill Ridge family brimming over with class and turf ability. If this gentlemen doesn't earn black type over the grass at 3, then I'll eat a patch of Saratoga turf. Colt's half-sister was stakes-placed at 3 for Kelly Breen.

#62 Tapit filly. This one is an easy pick for me, since the Saratoga graded stakes-winning dam, Touch Love, is a half-sister to my own lovely mare, Basic Instinct. Doesn't hurt that #62 is a gorgeous gray Tapit filly, or that Touch Love already produced a lightning fast stakes winner (Starfish Bay).

#74 Street Cry colt from the family of Forestry and Cash Run. Second dam is Grade 1 winner Shared Interest, an Evans mare by Pleasant Colony I used to bet and love back in the day. First dam already produced graded stakes winner Golden Spikes (by Seeking the Gold, also from the Mr. P sireline).

#117 More Than Ready colt from an insanely good NY-bred family of Scott the Great, Scottish Monk, Wire Me Collect, and Clever Electrician. This is my kind of female family...everything runs...dirt, turf, broken glass. Stakes winning Cure The Blues dam has already produced two stakes horses...I think More Than Ready may be the best horse she's been bred to, and the colt is a gray (as was Scott the Great)
Michael Slezak

Bargain Blueblood

[email protected]

917.455.0693 (cell)

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:53 am

Here we go just before the buzzer

41 - Bluegrass cat - oo Quiet american mare. Live ff

141 - by Tapit oo Catrail mare Tapits stock just goes up.

117 - More than Ready colt, MTR is just so solid.

107 - Unbridled Song, oo Danehill mare. My thoughts on Danehill are elsewhere on the board

105 - by Bernardini oo Damask Rose. just a hunch
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 am

Awesome picks folks!!! Come on, sale starts tonight!!!

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 am

I like in no particular order:

Hip 83- love the female family, watched the mare run a couple times.

Hip 106- love the female family, Street Cry. Enough said.

Hip 26- I know the connections that won the BC Oaks with the dam, hoping for the best.

Hip 14- the mare throws runners and winners, and this colt is a full brother to two GSW.

Hip 10- curious to see if the mare can throw another GSW/SW with the cross.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Select sale closed. NY Preferred still open for picks..

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:25 pm

it's bernardini mania at saratoga right now
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein