Barretts 2yo sale: more insanity!

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:16 pm

llbean

Why is Nureyev any better than Nijinsky?

Fantastic Light, Hawksley Hill, Designed for Luck, Howbaddouuwantit, Perfectperformance et al.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:57 pm

Hi Mr. Rogers,

Nijinsky was born 10 years after Nureyev and thus that cross has been tried a lot more (note also that Rahy has stood his entire career in America, where Nureyev is much less prevalent than in Europe).

Still, Rahy / Nijinsky is also an excellent cross and of course represents a continuation of the Blushing Groom/Nijinsky nick (maybe Nijinsky balancing out Rahy's small size a little also helps). I'd have to look into it much deeper to determine which cross is best, but it's my instinct that Nureyev is even better than Nijinsky with Rahy (though Nijinsky is very good as well).

The cross with Nureyev is more speculative than the one with Nijinsky, I'll admit though.

Part of the reason I like the Rahy/Nureyev so much relates to how well Nureyev has done with both Rahy's sire Blushing Groom and damsire Halo. And these three ancestors have combined not just in Tate's Creek and Megahertz, but also in the great Bago. All Three (meaning Blushing Groom, Halo, and Nureyev) nicked very well with the other two; and now it seems they are becoming a "Nick Triangle".

-llbean

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Mon May 02, 2005 11:28 am

I'd be very interested if anyone could do a complete study (inc opportunity which might be almost impossible) on the concept of a nick triangle as you mention. Sounds interesting

For your Blushing Groom, Halo and Nureyev triangle I would submit Blushing Groom, Nijinsky and Buckpasser. :D

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:07 pm

Seems like the $1.9 million dollar colt has actually lived up to his early billing. I believe he did actually win beyond 440 yards.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:51 pm

Good points, just moot. To some, 1,000,000 dollars is like 1000 dollars to us. whats 1.9 million matter?

But for those who dont have millions to sink into the game remember, noones been able to BUY a kentucky derby winner, really. Look at the top 20 horses bought at yearling sales. They stunk! :wink:

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:55 pm

Both Silver Charm and Real Quiet were purchased as yearlings.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:02 am

Yes, halo. But I was talking about money. But look at the top 20 in terms of PRICE...

http://auctions.bloodhorse.com/top_yearling_sold.asp

They are:

Seattle Dancer
Snaafi Dancer
Imperial Falcon
Unnamed
Jareer
Laa Etaab
Tasmanian Tiger
Amjaad
Van Nistelrooy
Alajwad
Abshurr
Obligato
King's Consul
Wassl Touch
Diaghilev
Parlando
Professor Blue
Moon's Whisper
Shah Jehan
Empire Glory
Foxboro

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:11 am

I am convinced that horses purchased at the top of the auction food chain are not horses that are purchased because they are perceived to be worth the money. It is far more likely you are dealing with egos with unlimited funds, and the competition is fierce to "win" that race. Look at the yearlings which are purchased under $500,000. Those are more likely to be purchased with an eye towards actual value. Egos arent as evident in those purchases.

A very expensive auction 2 year old a few years ago was purchased, not because the horse was worth the money, but because several high rollers were bidding and none wanted to quit. One was advised to stop bidding, as the price had gotten too high, but he elected not to because he wanted to "win". And he did "win", he got the colt. Seems the subsequent race record was secondary to the auction "race".

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:20 am

Halo, is the horse you are referring to a son of Saint Ballado that now stands at stud in CA?

That colt almost died 3 months after the sale (colitis) - spent 4 weeks in the clinic and took a full year to regain his weight and fitness. When he first breezed 5 furlongs the rider mentioned his wind being strange. Endoscopic exam revealed that a once perfect airway had become paralyzed on one side and partially paralyzed on the other. It is suspected that the stress of his illness caused this.

He did make 2 starts, winning neither, but he was a wonderful horse to watch at speed. I saw him work 6 furlongs at Santa Anita in 1:10 looking like he was going 1:14! A beautiful mover and a truly sad story of what might have been.
Roving Boy

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:09 am

No, thats not who I was referring to.

In spite of what some people think, I really think Saint Ballado was destined to be a top tier stallion. There arent many stallions standing now who have produced the quality of horses that he did.

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:29 am

I agree with you - his influence continues to grow. How many other stallions have 2 Grade 1 winners currently racing?

Also watch his sons now at stud - Sweetsouthernsaint has done very well from very limited opportunity (watch for General John B's return) and Flame Thrower and Ocean Terrace offer opportunity. Yankee Victor has not done as well as hoped, and Straight Man needs another runner, but they both finished among the top 20 Freshmen Stallions.

Saint Liam will have an excellent chance at Lane's End.

We have not seen the last of Saint Ballado.

OK, my curiousity is getting the better of me. Please give me a hint, which 2 year old are you referring to?
Roving Boy

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:42 am

halo wrote:I am convinced that horses purchased at the top of the auction food chain are not horses that are purchased because they are perceived to be worth the money. It is far more likely you are dealing with egos with unlimited funds, and the competition is fierce to "win" that race. Look at the yearlings which are purchased under $500,000. Those are more likely to be purchased with an eye towards actual value. Egos arent as evident in those purchases.

Yep.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:30 am

Although your description sure sounds like a lot of these purchases, the one it makes me think of is Diamond Fury.

I saw him last year. I think that his problem is that he never grew after he was sold as a 2 year old.

As for What A Song, there were definite reasons why he was considered the real deal at the sale. $1.9 was steep but not completely insane for him.