WTBA SALE

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

WTBA SALE

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13 pm

For the life of me I dont understand why theWashington breeders organization continues to award black type to $3,000 "stakes races" in Timbucktu.

This deceptive practice cheapens the whole sale. And is good grounds for a misrepresentation lawsuit.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm

It's not just Wa. that's doing it..... thats the prob.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

Bill,

Thank you for posting the link, I enjoyed looking at the pedigree's of several of the catalogued horses.

Jeff

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Jeff

I'm kind of interested in seeing hip #74 in the flesh. I think he would be better suited to grass or synthetic surfaces, as opposed to the dirt at Emerald Downs, but I find his pedigree intriguing. Lots of stamina influences.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Bill, why do you suppose the breeders assn. returned to it's old practice of awarding full black-type to all (N) races? If any of the yearlings whose pages are filled with the fake bold type are pinhooked next year their catalog pages are going to look a whole lot different. That means angry buyers and sellers.

Only a few hillbilly outfits, like in Louisiana, choose to mislead buyers by using fake black type. Why doesn't the WHBA use the same cataloguing standards most reputable companies adhere to?

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Can't answer that Barcaldine. I haven't been personally involved with the WTBA for several years. I just thought the message board members would be interested in taking a look at the pedigrees. Didn't mean to create a controversy.

Bill

Langston Hughes

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:32 pm

No need for controversy. It's just that in reading catalog pages I think it's important to do so while comparing apples with apples, i.e. quality. The WHBA catalog is certainly of higher quality than I've ever seen it, but the constant overlaying of fake black type onto otherwise mostly solid pages I find manipulative. It doesn't allow buyers, who lets face it aren't always on top of black-type rules, the opportunity to hold one pedigree up to another and fairly compare the two.

Take Hip 1, for example: http://www.washingtonthoroughbred.com/S ... otos/1.PDF

On first look it appears as if both first and second dams are stakes producers. But if this yearling reappears in 2014 at Barretts or any other sale (other than Louisiana) the fake black type wont be reproduced

This is an injustice to the buyer of the WHBA yearling. There's no need to do it.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Hi Jeff

I'm kind of interested in seeing hip #74 in the flesh. I think he would be better suited to grass or synthetic surfaces, as opposed to the dirt at Emerald Downs, but I find his pedigree intriguing. Lots of stamina influences.

Bill

Bill,.
The 3x3 Mr. P is certainly interesting, looks like he'd be a nice yearling to have in the Barrett's catalog, maybe a good prospect to pinhook.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 am

of course the 3x3 linebreeding is generally considered to close, I would think it would be a limiting factor in his sale price.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Jeff

At one time inbreeding to Mr Prospector was considered a no-no, but times have changed. Inbreeding to Mr P (2x3, 3x3, 2x4) has produce hundreds of stakes winners worldwide. A few Grade 1/Group 1 stakes winners are, Taatletale (NZ) 2x4, Swiss Ace (Aus) 3x3, Strategic Maneuver (US) 3x3, Storming Home (US) 2x3, Static Memory (RUS) 3x3, Spy In The Sky (US) 3x3, Society Selection (US) 3x3, Shadow Cast (US) 2x4, Scat Daddy (US) 4x2, Roman Ruler (US) 2x4, Catorce de la Fama (CHILE) 3x3x4, Carry On Katie (UK) 3x3, Becket (India) 3x4x4. The good G2 stakes winner, Balance the Books (US) is 3x3. A couple of stakes winners bred on the same lines as the WTBA colt (sired by Rock Hard Ten, and 3x3 to Mr P) are Alienation G1 stakes placed, and the Woodbine stakes winner Bear's Hard Ten.
Personally, I don't have a problem with inbreeding to Mr Prospector.

Best to you.

Bill

Langston Hughes

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 am

Bill from WA wrote:Can't answer that Barcaldine. I haven't been personally involved with the WTBA for several years. I just thought the message board members would be interested in taking a look at the pedigrees. Didn't mean to create a controversy.

Bill

interesting. I did look through the catalog and found a half to one of my 2 yos for sale...all the way in WA. Wonder why they would ship a KY based yearling all the way to WA of all places. At first thought, I would guess that it doesn't bode well.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 am

Even though we're at the other side of the planet, Washington State (of all places) has a very lively thoroughbred community. Some of the most influential (and wealthiest) individuals in the world call this State home. Eclipse winner Chinook Pass was foaled here, and some of the top owners in America hail from these parts. Find another facility better than this one (owned by Dr. Mark Dedomenico.)

http://www.pegasustrainingcenter.com/ab ... staff.aspx

Sorry, I get a bit defensive re: my home state.

Bill
Last edited by Bill from WA on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Langston Hughes

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Barcaldine wrote:Only a few hillbilly outfits, like in Louisiana, choose to mislead buyers by using fake black type. Why doesn't the WHBA use the same cataloguing standards most reputable companies adhere to?

Do you have a specific sale in Louisiana in mind whose catalog awards black type to under $40K stakes races?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Hip 63 has a solid ff for sure.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.