2-year-olds work in 20 3/5 and 20 4/5 at Keeneland...WOW

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

FOS
Freshman Sire

2-year-olds work in 20 3/5 and 20 4/5 at Keeneland...WOW

Postby FOS » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:58 pm

hi guys

In looking through the published works at Keeneland (for the upcoming two-year-olds in training sale)...it seemed clear that a couple of 2-year-olds worked a quarter in times that might be considered nothing less than astonishing.

A quarter in 21 and change is Extremely Fast (and 22 is no slouch)...but apparently three colts worked in 20 3/5 or 20 4/5...WOW...in my book that's freaky fast. And I'm told that one of them actually made it look effortless...easy...when galloping-out in 32 and change.

Amazing!!!

Respectfully

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:29 am

One of them, the Coronado's Quest colt, was one of the first to work. So he ran his 20.3 when the track was "slower" than it would become later.

parsixfarms
Maiden Special Weight

Postby parsixfarms » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:31 am

Actually, if he was one of the first to work, I would suspect that the track was faster. At these sales, they tend to water (rather heavily) the track before each set, so the track tends to play pretty quick just after a break.

In any event, I don't think it can be good for such young horses to be working that quickly, but that's a problem with all the 2YO sales. Only time will tell how these horses do.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:59 am

parsixfarm, I didn't see them prepare the track, I only arrived in time for the first work. But the CQ colt's work was blazingly fast compared to everyone else in the first set. They didn't get a single eighth below 10.2 and the majority were 10.3 and above, until after the break when they harrowed the track. Then there was a noticeable difference in the times.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:10 pm

hi LSB...hi parsixfarms

Spoke with a couple of friends and associates that attended from the start...track was very-fast (according to them) at the outset.

LSB...you might enjoy comparing the videos (on Keeneland website) of three fastest 1/4 mile works the other day.

The way I see them is:

Hip # 30 - 20 3/5 seconds - Rider cracked colt three times - colt on the wrong lead - colt cocks his head right - colt appears to possibly want to drift out (watch riders left arm then possible momentary near-loss of seat) - colt did not gallop out straight or strong.

Hip # 31 - 20 3/5 seconds - Rider cracked colt left handed mid-turn...rider cracked the colt left-handed after coming out of the turn then tagged him twice left handed mid-stretch - rider pumping and driving hard - colt worked and galloped out straight...strong and willingly

Hip $133 - 20 4/5 seconds - Rider cracked colt mid-turn - rider sat still (no whipping, pumping or driving) colt did it all on his own - colt worked then galloped out straight as an arrow - strong and willingly.

For what it's worth...on Hip #133, the rider's shirt caught the wind for some time prior to wire (that certainly did not help).

What do you think?

Respectfully

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:14 pm

FOS, I have a video of all the works here. I don't have time to compare them right now but I'll watch it when I get a chance.

By the way, there was a Storm Cat (colt I think...but maybe a filly?) whose rider's jacket also noticeably caught the wind. He/she looked great but you had to think that the jacket cost them an extra tenth. I wonder if it was the same rider.