Looking for best Auction to sell a yearling

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Lisa
Weanling

Postby Lisa » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:53 am

I have a yearling colt out of Master Missus (COMPETITOR-MASTER DERBY) by Foxhound (ALAURA-Foxhound) and I am debating whether I should sell him at the TX sale in August, the Heritage sale in OK in Oct. Any suggestions?

Rick
Allowance Winner

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:35 pm

I would lean toward Fasig-Tipton on Dallas. Heritage Place is mainly quarterhorses and I would be afraid that he would be overlooked there.

Lisa
Weanling

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:40 pm

Thanks, that is what I was worried about.

Lisa

HR LLC
Starters Handicap

Postby HR LLC » Sun May 01, 2005 9:28 pm

Based upon the pedigree I would go with Oklahoma. Your horse will be a small fish in a big pond at the TX yearling sale.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Mon May 16, 2005 2:52 pm

Depends strongly on where you are located. Your sale expenses could well eat up whatever you get for the colt. Try to sell him privately first and if no takers, geld him and put him into the Thomas Horseman's Sale in Feb. or early spring as a short 2 year old as a racing prospect. That sale is in Tulsa, Ok and run by Robert (if I remember right) and Betty Thomas, Sperry, OK. That too also depends upon what it is costing you to keep the colt from now until he is 2. You most likely won't see much difference between his sale price as a yearling vs 2-yr-old.

I've sold at the Texas sale and took an xxx-whipping & vowed to never return. One yearling' was out of a stake producer by a G2 SW of $800k sire, another's dam was 1/2 to 4 stakes horses by a G2 CA stallion that had run out 1M, the other was by a GSW son of Halo with the family of Valid Expectations (before he hit). If it ain't a KY bred, forget it. This sale still sucks.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Mon May 16, 2005 3:02 pm

The Heritage Place sale in Nov has a special TB yearling section and if an individual has quality it can bring a decent price. The Thomas Sale is kind of feast or famine as far as sales goes. You definitely don't want to sell as a yearling there.