Fasig-Tipton July Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

LSB
Grade II Winner

Fasig-Tipton July Sale

Postby LSB » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:30 am

Is anybody going?

It's going to be their largest July sale in history. The catalogue is 25% bigger than last year's.

By contrast, the Saratoga sale has shrunk notably this year. Only 150 yearlings to be offered over two days.

It looks like there should be some interesting yearlings for sale in Kentucky in July. I'm really looking forward to seeing offspring by the first year sires.

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:32 pm

I'd like to go... but don't know if I will be able to get away.

I love hip 422! Wonder why? :lol: I would like to see her and truly hopes she brings 6 figs. I am surprised at her page however, it seems they decided against listing the European stakes placed son out of her 1/2 sister. Also, although I'm not sure of the cataloging standards, her 1/2 brother, Sudden Glory, was 4th in the Norfolk stakes (behind Street Cry and Flame Thrower).

Like you, I am anxious to see the prodigy from the young stallions. Among those at the lower end, the Pure Prizes (which I continue to hear quite a bit about), the Mizzen Masts (I think he may be a real sleeper... I know I have two nice ones), and of course, the Jump Starts. Like you, there are several others I would like to see as well... plus, since I have two going in September, I always like to see where we are vs. were we need to be.

Alas, I am going to try to break away... but it isn't looking real possible, yet.

Have a good time for me!

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:55 pm

KAL, I wonder how they overlooked that stakes placed son? And I wonder why the consignor didn't catch it in the proofs? F-T does their pages a little differently than Keeneland. I don't think either lists 4ths as black type anymore unless the listing is grandfathered in. I hope your filly lands in that great middle range where you are really, really happy for her current owners, but not feeling the need to kick yourself for letting her go as a weanling. :)

I'll try to see as much as I can for you. :wink:

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:22 pm

I wondered the exact thing about the son myself... it was on our page in January.

I didn't press the 4th place finish, as it wouldn't have been black-type... however I have seen it on other pages (sans black type) and always thought it a good idea in order to show a class factor.

In fact, in talking about it prior to the sale, my consignor said, "...yeah, that is good info to know...". Of course, after the sale a couple people who looked at the filly swore they were told nothing additional about her page... and one even said they couldn't get solid answers about the x-rays, as if the consignor had lost them. The x-rays were spotless... needless to say, I believe my consignor was perhaps a little overwhelmed... and perhaps experiencing a little trouble with organization.

These things are exactly why I usually have people I trust "secret shop" my horses. Last year, I even did this myself with a big name consignor I was using for the first time, I was incredibly disappointed and angry with the "work"... he actually tried to push another horse (by the same sire... that belonged, in part, to him), on me. Later I came back with my wife and allowed her to introduce us, he then even had the audacity to act as if he didn't recognize me. Needless to say, the sale went pretty poorly... and a lessen learned. Boy, you can find out an awful lot about your consignor in this manner.

I know that I will wish I had kept her and had her in this sale. However, we had bills to pay and got just slightly more than our minimum, and, at the time, I really couldn't afford the risk. Now, I hope she sells for really big money, then I hope she runs lights out for her connections. I wish them nothing but the very, very best. She certainly had a lot of class about her while we had her, and she was always a very good mover. I have to think if she isn't abused, she will be a very good filly...

Another reason I hope she brings big money is that I have her younger brother (by Mizzen Mast) who is, perhaps, even better than her. The farm in Kentucky has said very good things about him since his birth. He'll be arriving here later this week, so I'll get a first hand account.

Hope yours are doing fantastic! What are your sales plans?

IF I do find a way to make it over for the sale... I'd love to have lunch or maybe even dinner (provided I can stay that long).

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:19 pm

Most of my sales plans in the immediate future involve just watching. :shock:

We recently decided to keep the Street Cry filly and try racing her, so nothing to sell this year until November, when we'll be dissolving a partnership on a broodmare. If I starting itching to buy, it will probably be in Sept. A half-sister to the filly we bought last Sept. just got black type at Belmont (2nd to Stellar Jayne) over the weekend. :D

Any meal you have time for sounds great.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:42 pm

I will be there...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:09 pm

KAL wrote:the Mizzen Masts (I think he may be a real sleeper... I know I have two nice ones

KAL, you don't by any chance have a Mizzen Mast out of Met Her Dream, do you? Just curious...

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:49 pm

No... Mizzen Mast x Dili (Chief's Crown) and Mizzen Mast x Belle Masque (Devil's Bag). Both weanlings... both colts, and both will probably be in the November sale.

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:22 pm

Very unusual to have a 3 year old racehorse in this sale - Buzzards Bay, winner of the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby and a good 5th in the KY Derby.

What do you think he will sell for?
Roving Boy

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:39 am

Wow! :shock:

BB showed some talent on the track, but not a very fashionable pedigree to bring a huge sum as a stud prospect. I couldn't even hazzard a guess as to what he might go for.

Thanks for your reply, KAL. Would like to know what became of that Mizzen Mast x Met Her Dream. That one is half to one of my broodmares.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

petersd
Maiden Special Weight

Postby petersd » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:09 pm

I'll be there as well, working the crowd...

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:40 pm

petersd wrote:I'll be there as well, working the crowd...

Working them for what? Hey maybe any board members there should have some kind of shirt, symbol, or special handshake or something so we can identify each other. For example, the first day wear a yellow rose, the second day a red rose... :lol:
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi all,

I was out at Belmont about 2 weeks ago and Walt Robertson, Boyd Browning and Jack Brothers were pumping the sale, tossing the catalogs out like they were frisbees.

KAL, admirable way to look at the sale of your filly and the good wishes for all involved with her. You made your choice and hopefully will be rewarded in the future. Sounds as if you've had some problems with consignors. If you want to PM the details to me I'll see if I can help.

The black-type standards were changed in the 80's to allow inclusion of 4th place finish in a graded stakes and later in the decade these were taken out, thus why you seem, them in some pedigrees and not in others.

Regards,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms

secretariat
Weanling

sale

Postby secretariat » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:12 am

anyone know the web site so we can view the sales?

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:53 pm