Northampton Fair - to Marli at the Fair this weekend...

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:16 pm

It was miserable but so worth it!
Spoke to Canter (Ellen) tonight and it looks like they sold like 35 today, and when I was there yesterday about 15. (two went with me!)

And I think that most that could have been sent to Crowleys (auction) have been diverted. (a la Canter style). And the trainers with too many horses to take back managed to sell them! Don't take me as the authority though, but that's what I hope Canter will report soon!
Racing and retraining.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:03 am

ckaye...she is absolutely adorable and so sweet. She is going to have a lifetime home but I am glad that someone else was interested just incase I did nt make it up there.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:46 am

Hey Doublete-

Thanks for the update, it's been difficult to monitor just how many have been spoken for! Have to say, regardless of the torrential downpours, it was heartening to see so many dedicated people make their way there to assist these horses. Hopefully (fingers crossed!) a good majority of them are now transitioning into new homes! :)

I'm not sure, but maybe it would be easier to determine which horses didn't sell - like you, I've been watching for an update!

It took a great restrain on my part not to head over myself - glad to hear you've taken some and MANY, MANY thanks as always for volunteering your time to help! The entire CANTER New England crew are wonderful horsepeople!!

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

northampton on saturday

Postby mini's mom » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:32 am

we went out on thursday (I live 1 1/2 hrs from there) - I havenever been there - was quite a mud hole - I tried to buy the colt 'salt lake express" and 'let us confide' as his dam is a sister to my nile flirt - but the trainer wanted what he wanted and I could not get either one of themshipped - so I had to pass - my friend's daughter wanted mimi's main man frommike and carol del negro (they operated Kingsbridge Equine Rescue) in west brimfield - I loved both of those two horses and their pedigrees - 'express' was built like a quarter horse - with a smarty attitude - the other one looked like nile - don't understand why he only hasmade l500 on the race track but the attitude was that thekiller price isone thing and then the equilox that was put on his feet was another expense - so the price was what it was - and to gerry with the blind horse - horses are monocular so she can see just fine with the other eye - they have a rampant retina so it is always in motion - if you leave her wiskers long on her left side that will help her - if you have to move her at night use a flashlight under her neck sort of down by her shoulder and she will follow the motion of the light - also could that be treated with opthamolic ointment - nile lost her sight on one side in a race when she got hit by a rock and she gets around just fine - also if you speak to her first and don't sneak up on that blind side she will be ok - I am glad that you took her out of that place - northampton was quite an experience -

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:31 am

YIPPEE!!!! Wow - What a wonderful report! The success of this sale is directly a result of the dedicated volunteers, and it's terrific to see the LONG list of horses that will transition into non-race homes!!! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Have to make this super-quick so I am not summarily fired from work for using the computer for personal reasons on company time... but Northampton, despite being utterly exhausting and as Katie Jo (our hero for leaving PA at 2:15 AM and driving up through a hurricane!) mentioned - nasty, nasty, nasty on Saturday; there were DUCKS SWIMMING ON THE TRACK! - was a success. So many fantastic horses found great new homes.

PURCHASED BY CANTER NE AND SENT TO THOROUGHBRED RETIREMENT FOUNDATION FARMS IN NEW YORK AND KENTUCKY:

1. Watral's Hula Girl: A kind, lovely little 4-year-old bay mare with bad knees, but the disposition of a child's pony:
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sal ... laGirl.jpg

2. Social Mix: Sweet 4-year-old liver chestnut gelding with osselets:
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sal ... ialMix.JPG

3. Punch Drunk: A feisty, flashy chestnut gelding whose racing days are done - he'll enjoy some R & R! (no pic, sorry - he was one we just found out about yesterday)

4. Layton's War Bonnet: Beautiful little 5-year-old filly with a bowed tendon:
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sal ... onnet2.JPG

I should also point out that a few kindhearted trainers and owners at the fair did make the decision to donate other injured and older horses to the TRF outright. They chose to give their horses a well-deserved retirement, even if it meant losing money on potential future race earnings or sales, and should be commended.

Horses purchased by CANTER NE - now in local CANTER-approved foster homes, and available for adoption:

1. No Time Soon: A cute, Black Beauty-esque, sweet and sensible little 5-year-old stallion who is soon to become a gelding - but shhh, don't tell him that! He has an old knee injury but has been trail ridden and even jumped on the farm:
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sal ... uette1.JPG

2. Leader's Choice: A tall, rangy, good-looking 4-year-old chestnut gelding. No photo of him but will be sure to get one from his foster home.

3. Dancing Chevron: A beautiful, gentle chestnut mare who has been both a racehorse and a mom in her career. Just look at that face!:
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sal ... hevron.JPG

4. Iron Clad Proof: A calm, pretty, kid-safe 6-year-old mare with big ankles but such a great attitude that they don't matter! Another one we didn't have time to get a photo of, but will share those her foster mom sends us.

UPDATED LIST OF ALL OTHER HORSES ON THE CANTER NE SITE WHO ARE CONFIRMED SOLD/PLACED:
NoHo-2 Mecke's Dancer
NoHo-6 Langfuhr's Allure
NoHo-8 Starez
NoHo-9 Gracias Sam
NoHo-10 Forty Licks
NoHo-12 Mean Irene
NoHo-13 Girl Gone Wild
NoHo-14 Miss Mattie Mu Mu
NoHo-15 Our Pee Jay
NoHo-20 Makeup Girl
NoHo-21 High Mount Diamond
NoHo-22 Town Meeting
NoHo-23 Zig A Little
NoHo-24 Cathedral Tower
NoHo-25 Brook by the Sea
NoHo-28 Mr. Muddy Moose
NoHo-34 Open Scent
NoHo-35 High Blast
NoHo-36 Say Now
NoHo-37 Two for Hebe
NoHo-40 Penalty Declined
NoHo-41 Deemed Worthy - Katie's new kiddo!
NoHo-42 Crystal Conquest
NoHo-44 Patuxent Wind
NoHo-49 Mabilis Lady
NoHo-50 Plunge
NoHo-54 Smokin Devil
NoHo-56 Greg's Turk
NoHo-57 Nothing Trendy
NoHo-58 Very Eloquent
NoHo-60 Bluebyslew
NoHo-61 Keles
NoHo-63 Moscow Flite
NoHo-64 Jovial Belle
NoHo-65 Miss PGA
NoHo-66 Twenty-one kisses
NoHo-68 Plain Ole Abe
NoHo-69 Famous Minstrel
NoHo-70 Bold Caleb
NoHo-75 No Shade
NoHo-82 Fancy Flare
NoHo-84 Brian Strikes Back
NoHo-88 Persh
NoHo-89 Harry's Rainbow
NoHo-93: Fantastica
NoHo-94: Whisper for Gold
NoHo-95: Bold Shamrock
NoHo-96: Devil's Reine
NoHo-97: Wewantdagold
NoHo-98: Sahara Sands
NoHo-98: Shore Breaker
NoHo-99: Let Us Confide
NoHo-103: Pro Suave (I believe - pending vet check)
NoHo-104: Wise Guys Out
NoHo-105: Stand Up and Cheer
NoHo-107: Might Pass
NoHo-109: Kid Miraculous
NoHo-111: Count Quillo
NoHo-112: Big Shoulders
NoHo-113: Beyond Great
NoHo-114: Jacob's Trust
NoHo-116: Adventurous
NoHo-117: Noble and Just
NoHo-118: Little Wishes
NoHo-124: Hay Worthy
NoHo-125: Canna Belle
NoHo-127: Won to Win
NoHo-130: Miss Steppin On
NoHo-131: Takin' Up Space (I believe - pending vet check)
NoHo-132: My Kimberlee Anne
NoHo-133: Riverside Flight
NoHo-135: Diggin on Doug

Of those who did not sell, most are going on to race at other tracks. PM me if there was one you were interested in who fits that category, and we'll see if we can track down the trainer if you can't get ahold of him or her. The very sweet and cute mare Karat Tales will also be available once she runs one more time at Finger Lakes Racetrack. 4 years old, beautiful with dapples everywhere and just so unhappy as a racehorse. She is dark bay, 15.2/15.3 hands with a big round build. Call Tony Tamburino at 813-230-1581 and make an offer.

For all those who were interested in Salt Lake Express: he is still for sale and let me tell you, he is drop-dead-gorgeous and mellow as can be for a stallion. He also has a wonderful story that his owner can share with you. Call Dave at 774-229-6715 if you're interested - I think Salt Lake will be at Suffolk Downs, but not sure.

This is such great news to report. Thank you again, everyone. Those of you who made donations and/or just spread the word: we could not have done it without you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>>>>>>>>> A FANTASTIC JOB!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

mary
Yearling

Post subject: Northampton Fair - to Marli at the Fair this w

Postby mary » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:38 am

I am so glad to see Miss Mattie Mu Mu has a home! Thanks for the update hurleynyc! If I had the means I would have flown out there from the west coast and hitchhiked back with her. Whoever got her got a wonderful deal. It was also very heartening to see horses that I recognize from other tracks (Bold Caleb, Patuxent Wind) go to homes. I hope this got a lot of publicity. I believe events like these can do more to further the sport in some ways than Smarty publicity. A tremendous effort by all involved, this is very great to read about ! :D

mary
Yearling

Northampton Fair - to Marli at the Fair this weekend...

Postby mary » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:44 am

Thanks for the update on the horses sold Marli!

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:08 am

I personally brokered the sales for Makeup Girl and Our Pee Jay, so I know for a fact they've gone to good homes! Glad to see so many others were placed as well.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:14 am

Mini's mom- You shoudl have been there Sat. The trainer was trying to get Let Us Confide on my trailer for a small amount. I ended up with another colt that I liked a bit more though.
Racing and retraining.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:37 pm

doublete :lol: thanks again, I know there will be even more!

minismom- we currently have 3 completely blind horses and 4 that have limited sight in one or both eyes, but I had never thought of the flashlight idea. I really like that thanks!!! Do you have any tricks for putting the ointment on? She is really head shy around that eye but other than that is super quiet.

I am so glad that so many horses were able to find good homes and not in risk of the auction.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

northampton -

Postby mini's mom » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:04 pm

to gerry:

if you pick up the top eyelid and just try to turn it up a little and put the ointment in it - or use the tip of your little finger and put it on it and in the corner of the eye - the flashlight works well as they will follow the light with the good eye and they will use the other one also - it is the shadow that they will follow - if you hold it out in front of them near or around shoulder level it should be ok and point at the ground - you will notice the horse moving its ears to follow the light - but you will have to move the mare slowly - and I missed out on a good colt 'let us confide' - the guy was such jerk - he told me l500 then l000 then 500 - I told him that the horse was dead lame on thrusday when I saw him - but he put equilox on him so he was sound - told him l.00 and a good home for the rest of his life but he said no deal - so as long as the horse has a good home - that is ok - I was going to use him for a stud - and I could have fixed his feet - but that is the hrose business - good luck with your mare and it will take some time - I ahd a horse one time that had l4 stiches in his eye - a Y shaped lasceration and it was quite an ordeal to manage - he got a whopping infection in it and I ended up loosing the horse - the vet bills were off the wall but I tried - and that broke my heart also - maybe I can get the other stud - as he is still available
thanks for the response
susan

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

to gerry

Postby mini's mom » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:13 pm

the head shyness comes from the fact that she does not know what is coming at her and she cant see it - she will have to learn to trust ou - is that the little bay mare that was in the stalls near the back fence - it was quite oozy when I saw it - and there was a caterac coming - you might have to have the vet sew it together with rubber things that look like ziti and stich the eye lid shut and then put a drain in it in the top eyelid - and then they run a tub down the neck with a valve in it and the mare will ge the meds that way - and she will have to stand in a stall cross ited for a while but it works - at least she is not fighting you - if that is the same mare she was a pathetic site when I saw her - it is worse in the summer time with the bugs - you might have a jump on the infection if it is caught befor bug season - talk to the vet and see what he/she says and try that suture thing as it works quite well - they look like rubber stoppers and a re put on the bottom of the top lid and top of the bottom lid and then sewn together - the eye is protected and the horse gets the meds as it is a batle - you know if the horse is feeling better as it will put up a fight - when they lte you work on them then they are in pain and want to be helped - I have gobs and gobs of stuff on eyes - katherine houpt at cornell is the expert on horse eyes - might e mail her or find some info on the internet - I did a paper on eyesight in the horse - it will just take time and patience - susan - I forgot to tell you about the rest of the procedure - after the eye is sutured shut the vet makes a little insision in the top of the eye and a tube is inserted and it runs up the top of the head, inbetween the ears and down the neck the meds are administered that way - I would think that it would have tobe done at a clinic - but the one that I my horse had done was on the farm and it worked quiet well - sorry for any confusion of misleading statments - on sunday I worked from 9am to 7 pm and I was quite tired - so just to claify the statment - but look up the procedure and cornell is a wonderful place -
Last edited by mini's mom on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:23 pm

Susan..thank you for all the helpful information on the eye. I will do research tomorrow when I am more awake.

Marli--I am so sad that I missed Iron Clad Proof.....a Proof daughter (I loved that boy! ) so many to look at so little time