fly repellant

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

CampRiver
2yo Maiden

fly repellant

Postby CampRiver » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Does anyone have any suggestion for fly repellant that really works? I sprayed some Repel-X on my stallion and took him out for some hand grazing, but of course we were bombarded by some huge horse flies and my usual docile stallion got so aggravated and annoyed, he started to buck and rear :evil: I had to put him back in his stall.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Move to the mountains

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:40 am

I make a homemade fly spray that is pretty good - but I'm in KY and I don't think we have the same kind of war to fight - no black flies. Just skeeters and horse flies.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tiz
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Tiz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 am

Madelyn, what's your recipe?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:11 am

Start with a clean, empty gallon jug.

Put in:

1/8 oz Tea Tree Oil
1/8 oz Lavender Oil
1/2 oz Citronella Oil
30 drops Pennyroil Oil
30 drops Eucalyptus Oil
2 oz aloe vera gel
1 tsp pine oil
1 pint witch hazel
2 tbsp glycerine
8 oz green alcohol
2 tbsp permethrin - optional
water to make 1 gal.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Re: fly repellant

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:54 am

CampRiver wrote:Does anyone have any suggestion for fly repellant that really works? I sprayed some Repel-X on my stallion and took him out for some hand grazing, but of course we were bombarded by some huge horse flies and my usual docile stallion got so aggravated and annoyed, he started to buck and rear :evil: I had to put him back in his stall.

typical horse reaction to horse flies. i've yet to find a fly repellant that works very long, so I go with the very cheap stuff called "Bronco" that costs about 5 bucks. works just as well in the short run. when the horse flies are out, you want to be out of range and generally the horse will prefer to be in the barn at that particular time. that having been noted, if you are a bit athletic and are walking your horse and giving it some grazing time, you can be vigilant for horse flies and keep them off the horse with your hands. the horse will come to know what you're doing. try to be gentle with our fly buddies, though.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:23 am

There are CO2 generators that attract and kill blood suckers.

I've heard mixed reviews but my neighbor and freind has one in his back yard which allows us to use his deck while they eat you alive in his front yard and all the way home. We live in coastal Virginia where deer flies, black flies and other blood suckers thrive.

I'm getting one for me and one for the paddocks.. I believe one propane CO2 generator will keep about an acre clear. maybe it's a half acre. Anyway they seem to work.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Tiz
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Tiz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks, Madelyn. I'll see if I can find all the ingredients and give it a whirl.

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:56 am

Griff
I have always wondered about them. Let us know how it works. I may have to invest in one. The mosquitoes here could pic you up and carry you away!!!!